cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andrewmcneill
Beginner
Message 11 of 18

Re: lost emails

@Matt-S I've tried that but because of C-19, the automated message tells you to call back later unless you are vulnerable.  There should be an online way of raising a ticket.  The only option I found was to submit a complaint, even though that's not what this is - well not yet anyway 😉

0 Ratings
Matt-S
Moderator-Retired
Message 12 of 18

@andrewmcneill

I'm aware of the automated message customers get when they call our helpline at the moment however if I didn't believe that calling was the best way of you getting this issue resolved I wouldn't have asked you to call in.

As has been mentioned on this thread the recovery time for emails is 7 days and on your original post, you mentioned that the email had already been missing two days. I can send you a private message which you can use to contact the Mod team but I need to let you know at we work cases in the order they are received and at the moment it is taking us 72 plus working hours to pick up cases. There is a chance that the email back up will already be gone by the time we pick up the case.

If you would like me to send you the private message then let me know?

Thanks

Matt

robinh
Beginner
Message 13 of 18

Agreed - I had the same experience. No response from Yahoo. When I finally managed to get a number to call them on, they said talk to BT and clearly didn't care! I chased BT repeatedly about it (within the 7 day period too) and was just fobbed off. They don't care either. Bottom line - don't rely on BT email for anything important. It might work. It might not. I foolishly thought that they had proper professional back up processes in place. They don't. The call handlers didn't want to know. I was even earnestly told by one that I couldn't escalate the issue - because nothing could be done! Be warned...

0 Ratings
andrewmcneill
Beginner
Message 14 of 18

@Matt-S , understood.  Yes, please send the private message so I can get this resolved

0 Ratings
Matt-S
Moderator-Retired
Message 15 of 18

The private message has been sent @andrewmcneill.

Matt

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 18

@andrewmcneill wrote:

@Matt-S , understood.  Yes, please send the private message so I can get this resolved

Are you sure you understood the message from Matt-S?  He is saying the best/quickest way is to call BT because they can start the ball rolling quicker than the moderation team who are presently taking 72 Working hours to pick up your message and then get the ball rolling.

andrewmcneill
Beginner
Message 17 of 18

My problem has been solved thanks to help from John @ BT.  The problem was caused by the mail client on my Mac.  Like most people, I access my BT email from many devices, some web-based and some apps.  I have a Mac I don't use that much, and don't use the Mail client on it though it was set up years ago.  But a week or so ago, the problem of the deleted emails started when an email link I click on the Mac caused the Mail app to launch (because it is the default mail) and start downloading emails from the server - no really problem in itself.  Except the Mail client had a setting enabled which deleted the emails from the server that were older than 7 days, hence the problem I saw on my other devices and web account later.  This was either a setting added as a software update at some point or simply a setting I hadn't noticed a long time ago.  John suggested it may have been something to do with POP3 versus IMAP, but I'm not sure that was really the issue.  The thing that solved the problem was simply unchecking the 'Remove copy from server' setting.

0 Ratings
roses
Beginner
Message 18 of 18

I have also lost emails from BT premium. Until the start of the year everything was working fine, then noticed emails could no longer be sent using Outlook - only BT webmail. Despite numerous calls to both BT and MS neither were able to fix. Then I noticed emails began to disappear.

Because BT became unreliable I set up a new email account with Go Daddy - I would strongly urge any BT premium mail customers to look at this option.

In the meantime BT have said that there was a problem with Yahoo - referenced an internal email that confirms BT have a known problem that they are not telling customers which means emails have been lost and they are unable to retrieve. Fortunately I had a back up to end of Oct 2019, but have a gap of several months, before I set up new email and began forwarding all emails.

Also when I asked BT operator for his name - Pete from Cardiff he refused to tell me his last name, and then placed me on hold for an hour. He also pointed out he was not IT technical. Unbelievable.

I will be leaving BT as soon as possible - for those of you who are similarly dissatisfied I would also recommend setting up an Outlook account and forwarding emails.

0 Ratings