cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SR1
Beginner
Message 21 of 31

Re: <<<<<<<<<<<REASON GIVEN BY BT FOR INCREASED SPAM>>>&am

Get your finger out BT . This has been going on for to long. Masses of span getting through for several weeks now.

0 Ratings
Snowbird
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 31

contact to email help no use

My 40 minute chat and they took over the laptop as if it was my fault, then I discover on this forum it is Bt fault
0 Ratings
Tykeman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 31

Re: contact to email help no use

You must remember that anyone in support at BT must follow a laid out scrip which now seems to include remote access to your computer. Which means you could get a job at BT without knowing anything about computers 😉

0 Ratings
Snowbird
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 31

It now seems that the blocking of emails is working hopefully it stays that way
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 31

As well as the blocked senders working, I have also noticed that the spam filter has improved and is now blocking all but a few spam messages.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Diean
Aspiring Expert
Message 26 of 31

For those that are interested in the so called spam filter offered by BT for those on btmail address's.  I was told by a senior member of the technical team in Newcastle, that as such, BT dose not have any spam filtering in place and that you can add as many bloceked senders you wish to to the blocked senders list but there is a limit of 500 that the server looks at.  Once the 500 limit has been reached then you can't edit the blocked senders list so as the enteries are in the form of domain rather than an email address.  I suspect that at this point in time, BT has like with Yahoo mail decided that they are not paying a third party to monitor and provide the software package to filter spam.  They also told me to set up rules, but if the server has no spam filtering software on it, then the only rule that would be of any good is one that will filter by domain and delete it, but as we know a number of these spam emails come as if from our own email address.  There was the suggestion of going to the site where the email originated and clicking on 'remove me from your mailing list' or such.  Hello open me up to the dangers of pishing or such.  To all those out there that believe that BT has got any sort of handle on this matter, I say that you have been misguided and that the reality is that, as long as you are prepared to pay BT for your service, of which btmail is a free service, that as BT has said to me, they don't have to give as part of the package, BT will take your money and provide the minimum that they have to occording to regulations.  If I was in an area that I could change provider I would but BT is the only ISP in this area.  Hope this has helped.  Sorry to all the believers in BT.

0 Ratings
aoxm84
Expert
Message 27 of 31

Just get a Gmail address and forward your BT mail into it. Job done.

Distinguished Guru
Message 28 of 31

@Diean wrote:

For those that are interested in the so called spam filter offered by BT for those on btmail address's.  I was told by a senior member of the technical team in Newcastle, that as such, BT dose not have any spam filtering in place and that you can add as many bloceked senders you wish to to the blocked senders list but there is a limit of 500 that the server looks at.  Once the 500 limit has been reached then you can't edit the blocked senders list so as the enteries are in the form of domain rather than an email address.  I suspect that at this point in time, BT has like with Yahoo mail decided that they are not paying a third party to monitor and provide the software package to filter spam.  They also told me to set up rules, but if the server has no spam filtering software on it, then the only rule that would be of any good is one that will filter by domain and delete it, but as we know a number of these spam emails come as if from our own email address.  There was the suggestion of going to the site where the email originated and clicking on 'remove me from your mailing list' or such.  Hello open me up to the dangers of pishing or such.  To all those out there that believe that BT has got any sort of handle on this matter, I say that you have been misguided and that the reality is that, as long as you are prepared to pay BT for your service, of which btmail is a free service, that as BT has said to me, they don't have to give as part of the package, BT will take your money and provide the minimum that they have to occording to regulations.  If I was in an area that I could change provider I would but BT is the only ISP in this area.  Hope this has helped.  Sorry to all the believers in BT.

You were told all that rubbish by a senior member ?

Telling people to block by sender or domain, and worst of all "unsubscribing" or removing from mailing list.

That is an appalling way to tell people what to do, blocking email addresses is a pointless excercise as spammers do not use their own addresses and typically randomly use anything. Unsubscribing is never a way to achieve anything (unless you categorically subscribed in the first place). Users should never ever unsubscribe to anything they never subscribed to in the first place.

As for saying that BT doesn't have any spam filtering in place, then I don't believe that for one bit.

I'm not sure about some of your other comments about btmail being "free", that's just not true. Did someone from BT actually say that ?

Also when you say BT is the only ISP in your area, where is that ? Surely you can get Plusnet, Sky or anyone else that does typical broadband. (There are only a tiny few area who may not be able, but that's not BT's fault - it's the fault of the other ISPs not willing to pay for installation).

0 Ratings
Chris22
Message 29 of 31

Re: <<<<<<<<<<<REASON GIVEN BY BT FOR INCREASED SPAM>>>&gt

I get the same message, but I have never subscribed to Yahoo.

0 Ratings
Chris22
Message 30 of 31

Re: <<<<<<<<<<<REASON GIVEN BY BT FOR INCREASED SPAM>>>&gt

I have never subscribed to Yahoo!

0 Ratings