cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 35

mail.btinternet.com servers not working

Go to solution

Hi,

My email clinets last successfully connected to the IMAP & SMTP ports of mail.btinternet.com last Monday (30th July 2018)  I can not longer connect using any email client over different internet connections.

BT helpline usuless - telling me to cal microsoft or apple! - interesting consdiering I'm not using an apple device.

I can log onto webmail perfectly ok, so no password issues.   It appears to be a connection issue to the mail.btinternet.com servers.

Can anyone help - feeling very frustrated, we pay for "premium email"....  My expectations have always been pretty low with BT, but this takes the biscuit!

Thanks in advance!

Alison

34 REPLIES 34
Bunjoman
Message 2 of 35

Re: mail.btinternet.com servers not working

Go to solution

I'm experiencing this problem too. I usually use the Opera Mail client and for nearly a day last week, yesterday and today, Opera Mail sits 'Authenticating' for a while until reporting a 'server error'. Web mail works without any problems.

In the two earlier instances full service was restored towards the end of the day showing that the problem is not the client end but the authentication end. My BT emails are still hosted on Yahoo so there are probably plenty of handshakes to fail and probably no-one to care...

Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 35

Go to solution

@AlisonDawkeswrote:

Hi,

My email clinets last successfully connected to the IMAP & SMTP ports of mail.btinternet.com last Monday (30th July 2018)  I can not longer connect using any email client over different internet connections.

BT helpline usuless - telling me to cal microsoft or apple! - interesting consdiering I'm not using an apple device.

I can log onto webmail perfectly ok, so no password issues.   It appears to be a connection issue to the mail.btinternet.com servers.

Can anyone help - feeling very frustrated, we pay for "premium email"....  My expectations have always been pretty low with BT, but this takes the biscuit!

Thanks in advance!

Alison

Hi, welcome to the forums.

When you login to webmail, do you get a Yahoo image? If so, logout and try :-

https://mail.yahoo.com

that has been shown to kickstart clients/apps. Make sure that the clients are not set to check for email every few minutes.

If not BTYahoo, the usual thing to do is wait I'm afraid. This problem can last a few hours to a few days.

One thing that can sometimes help is a password change, but it's not recommended. It needs all devices to stop checking for email, and after a password change waiting at least 15 minutes before tryina access on one device only to start with. However this can cause sync issues with BTID for some. Also it's not a guarantee of future success.

If you are able, I would wait a couple more days, perhaps trying every couple of hours on one device only (if you use more than one). There have been indications that access via multiple devices at the same time, with one maybe having a simple access failure, could cause access issues for all devices. Though webmail is usually unaffected.

The problem is that if access fails, a user may typically keep trying and trying - understandably. But it could make the problem worse due to the amount of failed attempts in a row.

This is only assumptions, and may not be the case - but it may have some merit. No-one in BT has ever investigated.

0 Ratings
Bunjoman
Message 4 of 35

Go to solution

Curiously enough I set up a Yahoo mail account (with my BT userid and password) with Windows 10 Mail - and it failed to connect. Yet after I closed Windows 10 Mail  my Opera Mail client burst into life. Co-incidence or conspiracy?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 35

Go to solution

Thanks all for your help - it would appear that the servers just stop working and we have to wait.....Nice one BT - Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy when you take the monthly fee for "Premium Mail".

ho hum....

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 35

Go to solution

just shows what a god awful company BT really are. Only answers you get are lies from some foreign operator who really cant give a flying fig weather your issues are solved or not. Now business is sold, I just need to wait a suitable period of time brfore I can tell the **bleep** at BT where to shove their 'premium mail' fees

0 Ratings
Highlighted
MarkRocketman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 35

Go to solution

BT IMAP Mail with Outlook stops synchronising / downloading

Since BT started moving BT Openreach customers Email accounts between dedicated (sic) BT Servers and BT Yahoo (contracted to provide BT Openreach customers with Email) it has provided (randomly) unreliable when using Microsoft IMAP Outlook clients. 

The problem presents itself by Email failing to synchronise with a message “Cannot connect to the server. “If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).”

Just don’t bother the person you will speak to or have an online chat with will have no idea what the problem is … or won’t admit to the problem.

Assuming you have done nothing to the configuration of your Outlook client, your internet browser is working, and you can log on to your BT Email via your web mail using your password the problem is most likely a configuration mistake or miss configured software upgrade at BT / Yahoo’s end! 

To over come this problem, try the following which you might find unscrambles BT – Yahoo’s somewhat split personality:

If your Email Client is configured as: 

BT IMAP settings

BT Incoming Mail Server: mail.btinternet.com

Port: 993 (this should be automatically populated if you tick the SSL Encryption)

SSL Encryption: Enabled (but not STARTTLS)

Username: your email address including the @btinternet or @btopenworld.com part

Password: your btinternet password

Please don't enable "secure password authentication" (SPA). It's not needed when you use SSL encryption and won't work.

BT SMTP settings

BT Outgoing Mail Server: mail.btinternet.com

Port: 465 (this may not be automatically populated on selection of SSL, so you'll need to check this)

Authentication: PLAIN

TRY

BT Yahoo IMAP settings

Yahoo Incoming Mail Server: imap.mail.yahoo.com

Port: 993 (this should be automatically populated if you tick the SSL Encryption)

Please don't enable "secure password authentication" (SPA). It's not needed when you use SSL encryption and won't work.

BT Yahoo SMTP settings

Yahoo Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com

Port: 465 (this may not be automatically populated on selection of SSL, so you'll need to check this)

Authentication: PLAIN

AND if you are using the Yahoo settings try the BT setting!  

NOTE: Your Email address and Password remain the same which ever configuration you use!

Don’t be surprised when it stops working again and swings back to the other setting, sometimes it stops working in the morning and starts working again on its own later on.  BT should really have a grip on this by now but as they will tell you BT Mail is a free service that comes with BT Openreach … that might have been just one unhappy camper within BT Openreach however!

Good luck.

Mark

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 35

Go to solution
Bad advice, using Yahoo servers means that usage is not recognised and the account is at risk of deletion for non usage.
Best advice is do nothing and wait for account to start working again
0 Ratings
PeterDay
Message 9 of 35

Go to solution

I have had exactly the same problem over the last week. Spent an hour on the phone to BT today, NO liability and have spent a good three days trying to sort this over last week. I have two computers and have both Outlook and Apple Mail neither of which connect me to the server - well occasionally. I have had a BT email for at least 15 years and not had this problem before but BT dont care. As long as I can access online thats it. I can not recive email at home at the moment and I work from home regularly. This mornig it worked up unitl 9.40AM then no email until now 18.29.

BT will not get involved. It is a server issue. I have changed my password. Deleted all my emails from the online paltform. Anyone know what next - online is single computer single issues not failure across computers to connect to the server. 

Thanks

Peter

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 35

Go to solution

@PeterDaywrote:

I have had exactly the same problem over the last week. Spent an hour on the phone to BT today, NO liability and have spent a good three days trying to sort this over last week. I have two computers and have both Outlook and Apple Mail neither of which connect me to the server - well occasionally. I have had a BT email for at least 15 years and not had this problem before but BT dont care. As long as I can access online thats it. I can not recive email at home at the moment and I work from home regularly. This mornig it worked up unitl 9.40AM then no email until now 18.29.

BT will not get involved. It is a server issue. I have changed my password. Deleted all my emails from the online paltform. Anyone know what next - online is single computer single issues not failure across computers to connect to the server. 

Thanks

Peter

Hi, welcome to the forums.

There are lots and lots of posts on this issue in these forums, and the advice is to do nothing - no settings or password changes, no deletion of accounts, no uninstall apps or clients. Doing any of these things can complicate the matter with having to alter all devices that check for emails.

If webmail access via a browser works, then the account is fine - it's just access via an app/client - hence the advice to do nothing.

However, turn off all devices that might auto-check for emails, and try one device/client every hour or so until you get access. Then do another device etc.

0 Ratings