cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
h13jph
Message 1 of 10

my email has been hacked

My partner and I both have btconnect email addresses and we've just become aware that someone is reading our emails other than us.  If I send a message to him I will receive a "read receipt" on it even though he hasn't opened it (it says it's been read in Monrovia and Reykjavik ... ), and the same applies if he sends one to me.  I've just gone in and changed my password and also my recovery information (ie the security question), but even after I'd done that he still recevied a read receipt for a message I hadn't opened.  Anyone any ideas please???  To my knowledge my account is not being used to send spam messages out - no-one has notified me of this, anyway, so far!

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: my email has been hacked

there is a much larger thread here which search would have brought up  http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/BT-email-accounts-hacked/td-p/796762

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
h13jph
Message 3 of 10

Yes - it is much larger - 84 pages - and a lot of it consists of spats between posters in the discussion.  Much of what I've had time to trawl through relates to Yahoo accounts (which ours aren't) and also to spam emails being sent out, which doesn't seem to be the case with ours - our messages are just being read, currently, I think.  That's why I started a new thread.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Is your account a business account? If it is you should post on the business forum where you may find somebody who has had the same problem.

It doesn't sound like your account has been hacked to me more like some sort of error/ glitch with the routing of the emails. I would suggest that you contact BT email support and ask them to look into it.

0 Ratings
h13jph
Message 5 of 10

Many thanks - will try the Business Forum.

0 Ratings
Aratark
Contributor
Message 6 of 10

The reason it is showing a read response form Monrivia, is because that is the default time zone for Office 365.  This can be changed by logging into webmail and going to settings.  There is an option in there to change the language and timezone.  You can just change that back to London, Edinburgh, Dublin, Lisbon and the read receipts will show correctly.

0 Ratings
ScotFour
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Without apology - here is a paste of an earlier thread from me:

An increased number of incidents are being reported on the web regarding the continued hacking of BTYahoo accounts with payload outcomes that vary:

1. Account passwords are being hacked and being modified without proper authority
  2. account security questions being modified without proper authority
  3. addresses on web-mail contacts lists being systematically sent fake emails seeking assistance in the form of money
  4. the deletion of the web-mail contact list afterwards
  5. modification of the BTYahoo email settings that hijack “respond to” email addresses
  6. modification of contact email address to one that links to the hijacker thereby informing them of subsequent attempts to modify the password.
  7. users being unable to receive or send emails
  8. accounts appearing to be re-hijacked after corrective action has been taken.

If users contact BT and correct the account access issues, they may believe that the problem has been resolved.

However if the additional modifications to the account email settings remain uncorrected, emails will be re-directed and simply notify the hijacker that amendments  to the account have been attempted, giving them the opportunity to restore their counterfeit settings.

The hijackers achieve this by setting up similar email addresses to the original but instead of the address being in the familiar @btinternet.com domain it will not infrequently appear to be in the @live.com domain.

The hijacker will previously have established another stand-off email address and make that the sole point of contact for any new counterfeits they create, thus preventing the hacked account owner from pursuing missing emails via live.com.

Therefore it is imperative that users follow a rigid and vigorous regime with BT and Yahoo.

1. Re-establish access to the original account and any affected sub-accounts with BT.
  2. BEFORE re-setting the passwords and the security questions to the account it is absolutely essential that “respond to” and “forward to” email addresses are set to a valid address that you recognise and that belong to you.
  3. reset the user passwords and security questions
  4. notify Yahoo that you are seeking restoration of your contact list from compromised accounts at the earliest opportunity – they have a short window where this can be done. 

These attacks are sometimes delivered via links to fake sites, news items or to fake BT updates and when users click on links these fake sites invite them to provide BT passwords or can link into BT if other windows or tabs are open on BT’s web email.

However equal numbers of hacks appear to happen without user intervention and questions may still exist about hacking happening at BT/Yahoo server level. Only in July 2012 were reports made about the posting online of details of 450,000 user accounts and passwords allegedly stolen from a Yahoo server.

In short, these attacks are not unreasonably sophisticated with hackers having to pre-prepare their “catch all” email addresses before they make their attack and create and use the front line diversion addresses.

It may be the case that there is more than one tier of “catch-all” addresses in place before the attacks happen.

Jac-95 also wrote an excellent fix for this problem:

Ignore the flaming - take the steps outlined aboved.

+++###+++
If you feel the problem is solved, please don't forget to come back and confrm the fix or post any other solution. It helps those who really need it to judge whether it works or not.
Also, mark the thread solved
0 Ratings
ScotFour
Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Here is the Jac-95 link

http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/email/yahoo_hacked.html

As an aside why have other contributers failed to make the link and help this user.

It is not appropriate to flame the user because you believe he has threaded on the wrong forum.

The user is seeking help - so making the helpful link would be more appropriate.

+++###+++
If you feel the problem is solved, please don't forget to come back and confrm the fix or post any other solution. It helps those who really need it to judge whether it works or not.
Also, mark the thread solved
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

Obviously you never read all my post or that of Aratark where we did give him information about his problem which he clearly stated in his own posts was not the same issues as you are trying to help him with!

0 Ratings
Aratark
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

With regard to the read receipts, which I missed on my first read, they are sent if the webmail is set to send a read receipt.  If a mail client pulls the email down, the webmail then sends a read receipt, then the client would send one as well, if set to do so.

That is why it is showing as read prior to actually being read.

0 Ratings