cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 20

new email

I have been moved to the new BT mail overnight and there seems to be a significant downside to it. In the old yahoo(BT) mail I could open multiple messages at the same time and they appeared as tabs above the body of the mails. On the new mail if I open a message and then go back to (for instance) in box and open another message then the first message closes.

Been able to have multiple messages open at the same time meant that it was easy to move between multiple messages of interest. I now have to keep finding the messages and then opening and closing them.

Or am I missing something somewhere?

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: new email

Unfortunately at present the "new" BTMail system does not have tabs. This work around is not ideal but if you have your email "view" set to display a preview pane you can double click the email to open it and it will open in a new window. You can then open as many emails as you want.

You will have to close each of the open windows individually when you are finished.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 3 of 20

you are correct, it does open a new window, however it is the window for the mail in preview and when you double click another mail it closes the first window and opens another, cant get it to open multiple windows and by the way double clicking with no preview also opens in new window but performs as above

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 4 of 20

sorry found the windows, they are hidden behind the body of the mails, so need to minimise mail to see them all

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 5 of 20

Please bring back tabs and make.life easier for everyone using a PC

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 20

this has to be the worst update BT have rolled out ....... poor design, missing features, terrible search times, address book messed up, appalling pop up menus .... I could go on 

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 20

@jasonh17wrote:

this has to be the worst update BT have rolled out ....... poor design, missing features, terrible search times, address book messed up, appalling pop up menus .... I could go on 

This isn't really an 'update' it's an entirely novel web mail interface which has been written exclusively for (and possibly by) BT to replace the Yahoo interface BT has used since it first offered public email (initially partnering with Yahoo as a portal provider).

Because it is being written from scratch (and can't use code which is in another's IPR) it has been struggling to get things right - a full Web Mail system is non-trivial to design effectively from scratch, but with some (at least) design commonalty (look and feel) with the precursor. 

Many people have found that choosing a mail client (such as Thunderbird or Outlook) using IMAP (not POP3) protocols will give you a much better experience. Or Blue Mail on a mobile. Shouldn't be necessary, of course, but needs must...

Message 8 of 20

Totally understood ...... just some overly complex design features which fail. I'd hate to think how much they invested in this, it's sad to see when large companies take on these projects .... Certain features leave even the user scratching their heads. It's so shocking I wonder if the design team/programmers have experience in user interfaces with the way it's designed .. and I imagine their team has some super talent. Sadly the customers have to beta test, some paying £7.50 a month for the privilege 😞   

I'll try Thunderbird, Works ok on my iphone via Apple Mail .... pretty much useless using it directly via BT. I hope they get it sorted 🙂 

Thanks for explaining 🙏

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 9 of 20

All

it is quite clear that the design team either cant or don't want to sort these issues. Not opening multiple tabs and search not working at all are features anyone would expect on an email service.

For anyone with a samsung device if you download the samsung email app from playstore and configure that with the correct server settings it works perfectly. Search and folders work as you would expect. Unfortunately this doesn't help with desktop users.

If I need to search I search on my samsung mail app, find the date and folder and then go to the folder on the desktop version and find it by scrolling down. Hardly what you would call the best mail service.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 20

@m1ckp2wrote:

All

it is quite clear that the design team either cant or don't want to sort these issues. Not opening multiple tabs and search not working at all are features anyone would expect on an email service.

For anyone with a samsung device if you download the samsung email app from playstore and configure that with the correct server settings it works perfectly. Search and folders work as you would expect. Unfortunately this doesn't help with desktop users.

If I need to search I search on my samsung mail app, find the date and folder and then go to the folder on the desktop version and find it by scrolling down. Hardly what you would call the best mail service.

You will find that using a client (which is what you are using on your smartphone) for a desk top will also work well, the two which have been praised on these boards are Thunderbird (by Mozilla) - which I use, and Outlook. Logging in using the IMAP protocol will allow you to do almost anything without needing the BT Web Mail interface, except change the BT SPAM filter (to let things through and mark as safe sender, or to block things). For this you will need BT Web Mail. [When you block things sent through on a client - this will block them from the client but not from the BT system - more importantly things wrongly blocked by BT cannot be unblocked - i.e. 'safe sender' in the client]

0 Ratings