Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 20

Re: new email

@m1ckp2 wrote:

For anyone with a samsung device if you download the samsung email app from playstore and configure that with the correct server settings it works perfectly. Search and folders work as you would expect. Unfortunately this doesn't help with desktop users.

If I need to search I search on my samsung mail app, find the date and folder and then go to the folder on the desktop version and find it by scrolling down. Hardly what you would call the best mail service.

What total nonsense, if you use a mail app on your Samsung why not use a mail app on your desktop. There are plenty of free ones to choose from, Thunderbird being the favourite.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 12 of 20

thanks guys, wasnt aware of thunderbird. AS for 'total nonsense', perhaps you could have been a bit more diplomatic. Judging from the mails I see there are lots of unhappy users on BT mail and not everyone is as experienced as you .

Also not sure why I should need to go through this in order to use a  mail service that I am paying for. Would move altogether if it wasn't that so many firms and friends have my email address.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 20

@m1ckp2 wrote:

Not opening multiple tabs and search not working at all are features anyone would expect on an email service.

You have stated that the  "search not working at all " . Can you explain in more detail how you are searching and what is happening when you carry out a search.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 14 of 20

On desktop version. Go to search box and add a key word. Then search on any folder or all folders. Search for example on a named folder and the results bear no resemblance to the key word. Just brings back a list of everything in the folder

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 20

I do not normally use webmail or the search function but having tested it I have  found that it performs in a "hit or miss" manner.

In most of the searches I carried out using the same method as you described it did find the "key word" on more occasions than it did not so I would not say the "search not working at all "  but I would say it is less than ideal and needs to be improved.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 20

@gg30340wrote:

I do not normally use webmail or the search function but having tested it I have  found that it performs in a "hit or miss" manner.

In most of the searches I carried out using the same method as you described it did find the "key word" on more occasions than it did not so I would not say the "search not working at all "  but I would say it is less than ideal and needs to be improved.

That's a very measured response, but would you not agree that IT coding would require a function to work 'all the time' - if it is intermittent, as you describe it, then it doesn't work. That is different from coding which works on some systems but not others, where coding clashes may be responsible - and the coding does 'work' but not on every system. If searches only occasionally work on a particular system, then the search algorithm is flawed.

Of course, using a good working client, as many of us have recommended, will overcome those difficulties, but it shouldn't have to.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 20

It is a very measured response because that is what I found which means it does work but not as well as it could!!

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 18 of 20

Guys

need some help. have downloaded thunderbird to my desktop and all works well apart from address book. Have followed lots of youtube vids about this. I have exported contacts from BT mail as a csv file and then imported it into thunderbird, however when i then go to match the title in the left column to the title in the right using the up down buttons I hit a problem.  I can match first name last name etc but when it comes to primary email in left column there is no title in the right column with anything to do with mail to match it to, so keep getting error message when I click ok. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 20

@m1ckp2wrote:

Guys

need some help. have downloaded thunderbird to my desktop and all works well apart from address book. Have followed lots of youtube vids about this. I have exported contacts from BT mail as a csv file and then imported it into thunderbird, however when i then go to match the title in the left column to the title in the right using the up down buttons I hit a problem.  I can match first name last name etc but when it comes to primary email in left column there is no title in the right column with anything to do with mail to match it to, so keep getting error message when I click ok. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

BT made a complete pigs ear of capturing contacts - partly because Yahoo stored them both in a contacts folder (which BT did transfer) and in a dynamic folder on the system, which BT didn't (I simplify).  [And you may have addresses captured from other systems stored in Contacts, not necessarily in a good way]. If you go through past emails on Thunderbird and look at whom you sent emails to  (or also received from) you will see a little star at the end of the email addresses - if they are clear, click on them to turn them blue and the address will be stored properly in Thunderbird.  If you have groups of addresses stored in Yahoo (i.e. committee members etc.) these won't have transferred, but they are quickly re-created in Thunderbird as well. It's a bit of a faff, but it took me only a little time and everything then worked smoothly. [As a nerd I then downloaded all the addresses into another .csv file and uploaded them back to the Web Mail app so my addresses were right on the BT folders as well]. 

You can also edit in Thunderbird (which often for blank files meant delete) addresses which you have 'saved' from the BT folders.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 20 of 20

Thank you very much. Will do that. Been on this all afternoon, thought I was going crazy.

Cheers

0 Ratings