cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 9

not receiving email from one person

Been contacted by a friend who cannot contact me via email - he keeps getting daemon failure notices when he tries to send me an eamil. He can't send to any of my btinternet addresses, but he can send to all his other contacts, and also to my wife's apple email address. I've checked that he isnt blocked on My Settings. I can send emails to him - but he cannot reply. Anyone got any ideas what else I can try.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 9

Re: not receiving email from one person

@nh2wrote:

Been contacted by a friend who cannot contact me via email - he keeps getting daemon failure notices when he tries to send me an eamil. He can't send to any of my btinternet addresses, but he can send to all his other contacts, and also to my wife's apple email address. I've checked that he isnt blocked on My Settings. I can send emails to him - but he cannot reply. Anyone got any ideas what else I can try.

Hi, welcome to the forums.

Can you say when this started to happen?

Does your friend have another friend on BTinternet that is causing the same issue (or ok)?

Can you get him to send the failure report to your wife's email address and then post in here - removing any personalk details.

The thing to do is get (if you've not already) a Gmail account - start moving all your accesses to this new address, tell your contacts that you are changing email. It might take a few months to fully change over, but you will be better off for it. It will also help if you move ISPs as you're not tied to a BTinternet address.

Unfortunately the underlying problem is never investigated by BT. What they should do is check the data paths used by your friend to see why it's being blocked, but they will not.

Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 9

@Andy_Nwrote:

The thing to do is get (if you've not already) a Gmail account - start moving all your accesses to this new address, tell your contacts that you are changing email.

Very much along the same lines but a slightly different, more convenient approach maybe, would be to give your friend your GMail address and set your Gmail account to automatically poll your BT Internet account (dead easy). That way you wouldn't miss an email and you would only have one account to check.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

But if you can't retrieve BT email directly, neither can Gmail. Gmail needs to access the server the same as you do.

Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 9

@licquoricewrote:

But if you can't retrieve BT email directly, neither can Gmail. Gmail needs to access the server the same as you do.

It appears to be just one individual who can't send emails to the posters BT address, everyone else it seems can. Therefore there should be no reason why Gmail would be unable to access the BT server

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

It may be that the problem is with your friends email and not yours. There are a few posts on the forum that people are sending emails and they are not being received.

see link

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Emails-To-btinternet-com-not-arriving-if-sent-by-me/td-p/1856616

If that is not the problem and if you are on the BTMail system as against being on the BTYahoo system you can add your friend's email address to your "safe senders" list which might help.

To do that log onto your email account and go to settings then mail then safe senders.

Highlighted
Message 7 of 9

Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately nothing worked so I set up another email address for this person to contact me on as he still can’t contact me on the BTinternet address.

Furthermore, as BT have today given notice that they’re going to increase the monthly charge for the email address from £5 to £7.50 it’s time to call it a day and give up the the email address I’ve had for 20 years. How on Earth they can justify charging £90/year for email is ridiculous. Goodbye!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

@nh2 wrote:

Furthermore, as BT have today given notice that they’re going to increase the monthly charge for the email address from £5 to £7.50 it’s time to call it a day and give up the the email address I’ve had for 20 years. How on Earth they can justify charging £90/year for email is ridiculous. Goodbye!

Can't argue with you there. I may be cynical but it make me think that BT do not want to have stand alone email customers.  You can get a far better free email service than the paid for BT "Premium" email.  

It may be a bit of a chore changing your email address but if you go for a non ISP email service such as gmail you will only ever need to do it once.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 9

@nh2wrote:

Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately nothing worked so I set up another email address for this person to contact me on as he still can’t contact me on the BTinternet address.

You didn't say if your friend has other contacts on BTinternet they can't email, that being the case it points at their mail system. What domain are they on - or is it a personal one?

They can't justify that for one second. To me that is the death of BT Premium Email - anyone using it should move away as soon as possible. It can't cost BT that much to keep an account going.

0 Ratings