cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
polish
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 44

password change due to bt mail migration

Had to change my password today due to BT mail migration. I was informed by BT that the migration is still going ahead and that I am being migrated!! I have to check in 24 hours and I should see the change on my email the yahoo should have disappeared! been told lots of BT customers had this problem with passwords this morning, wondered if anyone on here has had this? 

0 Ratings
43 REPLIES 43
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 44

Re: password change due to bt mail migration

That all sounds a bit fishy to me. As far as I'm aware, migration doesn't involve a password change (unless you have an ancient one which is no longer regarded as secure) and, more significantly, I've seen nothing to suggest that the migration is no longer on hold. Can you let us know if you've actually been migrated by this time tomorrow.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 44

@polish wrote:

Had to change my password today due to BT mail migration. I was informed by BT that the migration is still going ahead and that I am being migrated!! I have to check in 24 hours and I should see the change on my email the yahoo should have disappeared! been told lots of BT customers had this problem with passwords this morning, wondered if anyone on here has had this? 

Hi.

How were you informed the migration was still going ahead? It was suspended a year ago, with nothing to suggest it has restarted.

Hiwever, no password change is needed for the migration.

There are reports of email access issues, but users should not do anything. The system typically returns to normal after a few hours or couple of days. If these users are on BTMail, then that fault has been carried over from Yahoo, since that happened the odd time on Yahoo.

You can check which service you're on by going here :-

http://diagnostics.bt.com/login/?workflow=EmailChecker

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 44

I suspect it was a case of the (un)helpdesk saying the first thing that they could think of to get rid of the caller.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 44

@licquorice wrote:

I suspect it was a case of the (un)helpdesk saying the first thing that they could think of to get rid of the caller.

Really? I thought they just used one of these.

Spoiler
index.jpg
--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
polish
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 44

Hi when I logged in yesterday morning through BT.com which is my home page it came up with the following

Make sure your BT Yahoo email is secure
We've detected some unusual activity on your email account, and we think it may be compromised. As a precautionary measure, please follow the steps below to ensure your account is secure.

Step 1

Download anti-virus software

The first step is to download up-to-date anti-virus software and complete a full system scan on each of your devices.

Even if you already have anti-virus software, in some instances it can fail to detect certain viruses, so its best to double check by downloading another anti-virus software. You can get further advice on our website at bt.com/secure

If you're a BT Broadband customer, you can log in to My BT to download BT NetProtect Plus. If not, we recommend downloading one of these free anti-virus software packages: McAfee Stinger, Microsoft Security Essentials or Sophos Antivirus for Mac.

Step 2

Change your BT Yahoo password

Once you are sure that all your devices are virus-free, you need to change your BT Yahoo password. Make sure you choose a strong password that you haven't used before. You can get advice on choosing a strong password.

change passwordStep 3

You're now ready to log in to BT Yahoo using your new password.

Log back into BT Yahoo!Step 4

Update your password on your email client and/or devices

If you use an email client such as Microsoft Outlook or Mac Mail, you will need to update your password. You'll also need to update your password on any mobile or tablet devices which you use to check your BT Yahoo Mail.

Get help with updating your password at www.bt.com/emailsetup

I did check on here if it was genuine and received replies that it was so changed the password, also chatted on line with an advisor at BT who said that I was being migrated to BT mail, said it would happen in the next 24 hours which will be at 6pm today, was told the migration to BTmail was going on but taking time but that I was definitely in process of being migrated!

0 Ratings
polish
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 44

Hi Andy

I am on BT yahoo at the moment but have been assured that migration was taking place yesterday and is ongoing!?  would appreciate it if you could find this out for me if at all possible. I did get a copy of the chat transcript too.

I had to change my password as I could not log in otherwise! I am worried now!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 44

Don't be worried, the password change was genuine.  I'm sure it was the helpdesk people just giving poor information as they tend to do when they don't know the answer.

0 Ratings
polish
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 44

Thanks thats a relief!  but surely they should not be telling people they are being migrated willy nilly!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 44

They should not be telling people a lot of things, but they do.

0 Ratings