cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robertb53
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

problem with 'third party email'

I've just switched to bt broadband in the last 48 hours.  Since that time I have been trying to find the correct settings so that I can access my old freeserve email account using outlook.  Unfortunately I only seem to be able to find information and settings linked to authentication with a bt yahoo account.  This option is not available to me.  The only account I can and have opened is a bt mail account.   If there are definate instructions could somebody please tell me where they are?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: problem with 'third party email'

The BT settings are here

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/kw/bt%20mail/c/346,6588,6591

You should be able to set up an account in Outlook using these settings and your Freeserve email address and password. I don't know if you still need to authenticate the account as you will be on BTMail and not BTYahoo where authentication was needed.

0 Ratings
robertb53
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

thanks for link.  Regret to say have looked at this a number of times.  Setting up incoming and outgoing servers as per these instructions simply seems that on testing neither server responds and times out.  The only way I have been able to get any form of activity is to set inocoming server to port 110 and outgoing server to 25 and not enable SSL.  Using these settings I can get a successful test of both incoming and outgoing servers. 

Problem that remains is that while I can recieve incoming mail ok any message I try to send simply sits in the outbox regardless of the test saying its good to go.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

I use POP3 settings as follows:

Incoming and outgoing servers: mail.btinternet.com

Incoming Port: 995 requires SSL

Outgoing Port: 465 requires SSL

Log on using clear text

My server requires authentication - use same as log on

Include this account when receiving mail or synchronising

Can you send and receive your xxxx@btinternet.com email address OK.           

0 Ratings
Highlighted
robertb53
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Yes my btinternet mail account working fine.  Applied those settings and yep looking positive. automatic test messages from the change box worked fine.  Have just tried to send messages myself to/from outlook and outgoing hung in outbox again...but bt saying they got problems with email at the moment will just have to wait to see if its fixed or not.

But thanks making progress!

0 Ratings