Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
TheArtfulDodger
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 112

Re: "The mail server mail.btinternet.com is not responsing"

Go to solution

I think everyone is missing a very obvious point. It's not BT servers or BT techies - it's BT THAT'S RUBBISH!! I get this problem all the time, for several years, and the only thing I can do is go to the webmail, check for anything crucial, remove the rubbish, CHECK THE SPAM FOLDER - that's critical also - and then wait BT out. It has always come back in the end!!

Sparky

0 Ratings
gordgoodfellow
Contributor
Message 22 of 112

Go to solution

Yes, this has been going on for years.

BT should be made to include this in their advertising. "Expect long and vexatious periods when you will not be able to send or receive emails; there is nothing you can do about it because we're more important than you."

0 Ratings
gordgoodfellow
Contributor
Message 23 of 112

Go to solution

The latest: I cannot send emails, though I can still receive them. BT at least allows a certain variety in the way it is incompetent.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 112

Go to solution

@gordgoodfellow wrote:

The latest: I cannot send emails, though I can still receive them. BT at least allows a certain variety in the way it is incompetent.

This may be relevant if that is the case albeit it might be that you are not usng an Apple device it may be worth checking.

When you change your BT password on an iPad/iPhone it may only change for INCOMING mail.

To change the outgoing mail password you have to go into Settings; then scroll down to Mail, Contacts, Calendars. 

From there select the BTinternet account and select the account where it is listed under IMAP.  

You will find the details for the account and can change the password for the Incoming Mail Server but the outgoing mail server only shows SMTP and mail.btinternet.com

If you tap on the outgoing mail server it shows and that it is 'on'.  You have to tap on that Primary Server in order to find where the Outgoing password is hidden so you can update it or check it is correct.

0 Ratings
gordgoodfellow
Contributor
Message 25 of 112

Go to solution

Not relevant. I haven't changed my password or anything else.

I thought it had been long established: this is just something BT does.

Sometimes BT allows you to receive mail and sometimes it doesn't.

Sometimes BT allows you to send mail and sometimes it doesn't.

Sometimes BT allows you to both send and receive mail and sometimes it doesn't.

This is irresepctive of the email client used.

This is just something BT does. 

But BT should tell prospective customers that this is going to happen, and it never tells people. That's what the problem is.

If people knew that this was what they were signing up to then BT would have no new customers.

0 Ratings
gordgoodfellow
Contributor
Message 26 of 112

Go to solution

Here's something to make you chuckle.

I deleted the two emails in my outbox which could not be sent. I wondered that if I created a test message and tried to send that then it may work.

So I created my test email and clicked the send button.

But it was not sent.

I got an interetsing message:
"Task '***EDIT Personal email deleted*** - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC67) : '  The server responded: 421 Too many messages (2.3.2.2) from 86.15.0.122'"

In other words, BT is complaining that I have been sending too many emails.

But how many emails is too many?

How many hundreds of emails have I sent to abuse the poor BT server in such a horrible way?

I have sent 1 email in the past 28 hours.

Therefore take note, everyone: BT's maximum allowable number of emails you are allowed to send in 24 hours = 0.

Good to know. But why didn't BT warn us of this BEFORE we signed up to their **bleep** service?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 112

Go to solution

You should also put in your rant that it only affects some customers and by no means them all.

When it does happen even if the customer has numerous BT email accounts it usually only affects one of the  accounts.

It generally only affects BTYahoo email accounts and not BTMail accounts. If you are a new BT customer you will be on the BTMail system and not the BTYahoo system.

When it does happen you can usually still send and receive email via webmail.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 28 of 112

Go to solution

I effectively agree with you about telling people how poor their own email system is. They should also make it clear that people should investigate using another mail service, like Gmail.

The problem is they are in denial, they will not investigate despite numerous requests. They should not have two suppliers. I personally don't understand why no one takes ownership of the problems. There is supposed to be a mail expert SimonD, yet he hardly ever posts. This is the sort of issue he should be looking at.

0 Ratings
gordgoodfellow
Contributor
Message 29 of 112

Go to solution

I'm puzzled by gg30340s attitude.

He is clearly enamoured with BT. Is he a BT employee or spokesman? If this is the case then why isn't he addressing the problem instead of acting as both mouthpiece and apologist for this second-rate, lying, dissembling supplier?

Or perhaps he just thinks we should be happy settling for a second-rate, lying, dissembling supplier. Most people, though, have more self esteem than that.

Or perhaps gg30340 is right. Perhaps we should all be thankful that we only have to put up with such nonsensical service some of the time. How blessed we are as BT customers that we don't have to endure a service which works  continuously!

P.S. My email service is still down. No indication of when it will be working again, as usual.

0 Ratings
gordgoodfellow
Contributor
Message 30 of 112

Go to solution

"If you are a new BT customer you will be on the BTMail system and not the BTYahoo system."

BT have told you this categorically, have they, gg30340?

And you believe them?

(Of course, this sounds nothing like the kind of thing BT has been telling people over the years just to get them to shut up and get them off the phone.)

But perhap's it's true. In that case we all have gg30340's word for it. "If you are a new BT customer you will be on the BTMail system and not the BTYahoo system."

There you have it. Set in stone. No more problems for anyone, ever.

0 Ratings