cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gordgoodfellow
Contributor
Message 81 of 107

Re: Constant problems accessing BT email via Mac Mail and iPhone devices, common fault

Go to solution

I wonder why.

The issue has never been solved for me.

BT are charging me £7.50 for an email address that doesn't work, because they know they can get away with it.

Except I've had enough. After 12 years of BT not admitting that anything is wrong I am moving my permanent email address to gmail, which is always reliable, unlike BT, which is never reliable.

My BTinternet email address hasn't synced to any email client for four months.

I've cancelled my standing order to BT. I've set up forwarders for all my website addresses to go to my new gmail address, and I've told everyone I need to - including friensd, family and business - not to use the BT address ever again but to use the new gmail address.

I am free of BT forever.

0 Ratings
TheArtfulDodger
Aspiring Contributor
Message 82 of 107

Re: "The mail server mail.btinternet.com is not responsing"

Go to solution

Hello, all:

I don't have exactly the same problem this thread discusses, but my problem is caused by the same thing so I thought I'd ask my question here. My ThunderBird ALWAYS finds at least one of my BT addresses which either times out or gives me a message that it was disconnected; the result is the same: no e-mails being downloaded!! So, I want to change from BT which I've had since 2000, but changing e-mail addresses would be a giant pain for me. So, to my question: I have seen several ISPs which offer to allow me to keep my e-mail addresses! But, does that entail using their servers or will my e-mails still come in and are retrieved from the same BT servers?

I hope someone has the definitive answer to this question and I sure hope it doesn't involve BT servers!!

Thanks in advance.

Sparky

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 83 of 107

Go to solution

You can not keep your BT email addresses unless you are either a BT Broadband customer or you pay BT £7.50 per month for BT Premium email both of which must use the BT email servers. The reason for that is your email is addressed to a BT email address to it has to go to their servers.

0 Ratings
gordgoodfellow
Contributor
Message 84 of 107

Go to solution

Yes, I'm not sure how third-party ISPs claim they can "keep" your original email address. By definition, that is associated with the servers of the original provider, in this case BT.

BT charge £7.50 for email addresses (even when they don't work, as was the case with the email address they gave me) because they know that it is the devil's own work to unpick every place that there is a link to your BT email address. It is too much hassle for most people to unravel that, so BT MAKE people pay through the nose because they can.

As for me, I was sick and tired of all the lies and just ethe sheer rubbish that BT had told me over the years (the promises that they failed to keep 100% of the time, and their "Ingenious Department") and I spent the best part of two days in January unravelling everything. And I'm so glad I did. Now I'm so happy I'm free of them at last.

I have lots of recordings of phone conversations I had with BT technical support people - they are a real hoot to listen to! The madness. The incompetence.

I may publish these one day on Youtube.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
MarkRocketman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 85 of 107

Re: "The mail server mail.btinternet.com is not responsing" Solved

Go to solution

BT IMAP Mail with Outlook stops synchronising / downloading

Since BT started moving BT Openreach customers Email accounts between dedicated (sic) BT Servers and BT Yahoo (contracted to provide BT Openreach customers with Email) it has provided (randomly) unreliable when using Microsoft IMAP Outlook clients. 

The problem presents itself by Email failing to synchronise with a message “Cannot connect to the server. “If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).”

Just don’t bother the person you will speak to or have an online chat with will have no idea what the problem is … or won’t admit to the problem.

Assuming you have done nothing to the configuration of your Outlook client, your internet browser is working, and you can log on to your BT Email via your web mail using your password the problem is most likely a configuration mistake or miss configured software upgrade at BT / Yahoo’s end! 

To over come this problem, try the following which you might find unscrambles BT – Yahoo’s somewhat split personality:

If your Email Client is configured as: 

BT IMAP settings

BT Incoming Mail Server: mail.btinternet.com

Port: 993 (this should be automatically populated if you tick the SSL Encryption)

SSL Encryption: Enabled (but not STARTTLS)

Username: your email address including the @btinternet or @btopenworld.com part

Password: your btinternet password

Please don't enable "secure password authentication" (SPA). It's not needed when you use SSL encryption and won't work.

BT SMTP settings

BT Outgoing Mail Server: mail.btinternet.com

Port: 465 (this may not be automatically populated on selection of SSL, so you'll need to check this)

Authentication: PLAIN

TRY

BT Yahoo IMAP settings

Yahoo Incoming Mail Server: imap.mail.yahoo.com

Port: 993 (this should be automatically populated if you tick the SSL Encryption)

Please don't enable "secure password authentication" (SPA). It's not needed when you use SSL encryption and won't work.

BT Yahoo SMTP settings

Yahoo Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com

Port: 465 (this may not be automatically populated on selection of SSL, so you'll need to check this)

Authentication: PLAIN

AND if you are using the Yahoo settings try the BT setting!  

NOTE: Your Email address and Password remain the same which ever configuration you use!

Don’t be surprised when it stops working again and swings back to the other setting, sometimes it stops working in the morning and starts working again on its own later on.  BT should really have a grip on this by now but as they will tell you BT Mail is a free service that comes with BT Openreach … that might have been just one unhappy camper within BT Openreach however!

Good luck.

Mark

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 86 of 107

Go to solution
Bad advice, using Yahoo servers means that usage is not recognised and the account is at risk of deletion for non usage.
Best advice is do nothing and wait for account to start working again
MarkRocketman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 87 of 107

Go to solution
Best advice would be: To NOT trust BT - Yahoo with Email !
I am appalled at how badly the service (sic) is managed and customers treated. I take your point about BT closing the account as they have such a flaky system that they can’t see the connections BUT that might just do me a favour! How long should one wait ?
0 Ratings
MarkRocketman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 88 of 107

Go to solution
Beginner at responding to BT but 21 years corporate of HP mail systems DSLine , Newave and Outlook !
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 89 of 107

Go to solution

@MarkRocketmanwrote:
Best advice would be: To NOT trust BT - Yahoo with Email !
I am appalled at how badly the service (sic) is managed and customers treated. I take your point about BT closing the account as they have such a flaky system that they can’t see the connections BUT that might just do me a favour! How long should one wait ?

You post on servers is confused, as you mention BTMail - the temporary server/settings change will not work with BTMail, only BTYahoo mail. The flakey side of it isn't to do with not seeing the connection, it's apparently due to not going through the correct servers. There is an email sticky suggesting the case. The email sticky also says that people setting up forwarding (which has since been re-added for BTYahoo mail) and don't login directly to their email might also fall foul of inactivity,

To me the act of accessing the email address whether BT servers or Yahoo servers should not matter as the mail database has been accessed and clearly authentication of the password with the database needs to be checked. That must be independent of the servers to access the emails. However, the Yahoo server use was only supposed to be a temporary measure.

Email was never BT Openreach mail.

It has been stated time and again for users to do nothing, no password or settings change - this can and does cause extra issues. Hence the advice forum members give is to do nothing, which proves to be correct. This is especially true for users who had no issues, then all of a sudden things don't work.

For new users, there is a possibility of a settings issue - but that's usually straight forward to check.

0 Ratings
MarkRocketman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 90 of 107

Go to solution

@Andy_N

"Hence the advice forum members give is to do nothing"

All valid points but the option you promote is not practical otherwise we will all need to get our stamps out and remember how to write letters.  I have seen folks who have had to web mail for two weeks at a time before it worked again ..... so for those that can (with all the caveats) the solution is a practical solution to a problem that should not exist on a regular basis!   

FYI: BT did have / dedicated Mail servers at one time ... or they lied when they sent out an email telling of the move to or from the Yahoo 

0 Ratings