Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 91 of 112

Re: "The mail server mail.btinternet.com is not responsing" Solved

Go to solution

@MarkRocketman wrote:

@Andy_N

"Hence the advice forum members give is to do nothing"

All valid points but the option you promote is not practical otherwise we will all need to get our stamps out and remember how to write letters. You have mentioned webmail, does that not apply execept in the following sentence I have seen folks who have had to web mail for two weeks at a time before it worked again ...as you are advocating changing servers back and forth depending on which servers you are presently on why didn't you get them to change their settings?.. so for those that can (with all the caveats) the solution is a practical solution to a problem that should not exist on a regular basis!   We all agree that the problem should not exist.

FYI: BT did have / dedicated Mail servers at one time ... or they lied when they sent out an email telling of the move to or from the Yahoo 

0 Ratings
MarkRocketman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 92 of 112

Go to solution

@gg30340    " why didn't you get them to change "

Because some people dont know how to ask so I cant tell, some just dont know how to change even with instructions, others are too worried to touch, some see too many conflicting messages  and most appaulingly the elderly who just need somthing to work are failed by all of us! 

So thank you for your pedentary Im sure it has taken us all a lot further !

0 Ratings
MarkRocketman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 93 of 112

Go to solution

PS have you see sombody with arthritus and poor memory trying to read mail via Webmail ?  Rather than it just downloading!   We fail them !

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 94 of 112

Go to solution

@MarkRocketman wrote:

PS have you see sombody with arthritus and poor memory trying to read mail via Webmail ?  Rather than it just downloading!   We fail them !

Apparently they managed for two weeks however it appears that you failed them if you were happy to stand back and watch them rather than assisting them in changing their email servers.

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 95 of 112

Go to solution

@MarkRocketmanwrote:

@Andy_N

"Hence the advice forum members give is to do nothing"

All valid points but the option you promote is not practical otherwise we will all need to get our stamps out and remember how to write letters.  I have seen folks who have had to web mail for two weeks at a time before it worked again ..... so for those that can (with all the caveats) the solution is a practical solution to a problem that should not exist on a regular basis!   

FYI: BT did have / dedicated Mail servers at one time ... or they lied when they sent out an email telling of the move to or from the Yahoo 

Hi again.

The "do nothing" approach advocated is practical and a trusted method because it's a server issue, not an end user fault. Yes there are people for whom the issue lasts longer than a few days, equally there are some it might only last a few minutes. Who knows what the phone helpdesk tell people, but a lot of the time the advice is blatantly wrong - similarly with the twitter help. They nearly always say to change password. That can work in some cases, but some people have got into a pickle trying to do that as they might have multiple devices needed altering.

The solution you gave, as we have said, is not practical in the general case - since the information from BT is that the account may not be seen to be accessed. So after 90 days, then a further 60 days the account can be deleted. That is to avoided, so that advice is inherently incorrect as a general fix. As has been said, it's a temporary fix for BTYahoo users only, and could be stopped at any time. Indeed some users using the Yahoo servers found themselves without access (other than webmail) due to them being migrated to BTMail.

The mail servers BT used were their own, and called BTinternet initially, then BTopenworld - they still are pretty much, but that's simply a naming thing (but are not run by BT). The move to Yahoo servers was around 2003, then migration to BTMail started in March 2014 and was permanently suspended in September 2014 leaving a split of users on each system.

0 Ratings
MarkRocketman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 96 of 112

Go to solution

I suspect in the “real” world we both agree that these problems should not present themselves as often as they do with BT.  I certainly don’t have anything like the same issue as BT with my other mail servers, but there is a cost on top of BT Internet service provision so I cant recommend them to the oldies. I was given some inside track suggesting the base issue is with MS Azure updates … you sound like you might be “inside” the organisation (sic) can you confirm this?  Is there any view on when the problem is laid to rest permanently?

0 Ratings
MarkRocketman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 97 of 112

Go to solution
They did not tell me for two weeks because they did not know me! I met them when a friend asked me to help out ... so yes my psychic powers allowed me to let them down ...along with all who fail to resolve the problem and bleat from the sidelines
0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 98 of 112

Go to solution

@MarkRocketmanwrote:

I suspect in the “real” world we both agree that these problems should not present themselves as often as they do with BT.  I certainly don’t have anything like the same issue as BT with my other mail servers, but there is a cost on top of BT Internet service provision so I cant recommend them to the oldies. I was given some inside track suggesting the base issue is with MS Azure updates … you sound like you might be “inside” the organisation (sic) can you confirm this?  Is there any view on when the problem is laid to rest permanently?

To whom are you asking? The moderators are the only people that are inside BT.

With regard the Azure issue, that was a few months back. The server issue has been going on for years. It has been a known problems since the early 2000s when BT had a newsgroup (usenet) server which a few of us used and posted. It was back then the Yahoo servers were given as a temporary workaround.

Many of us have asked BT to investigate, but they either will not or don't respond. So the problem will not go away. There will be future posts in these forums with issues.

0 Ratings
gordgoodfellow
Contributor
Message 99 of 112

Go to solution

"Apparently".

I believe that is the whole problem.

BT will not tell us anything. They just blithely assume nothing is wrong with them and it is everyone else's fault.

Well, I'm no longer a BT customer, so the problems BT bring about are no longer a part of my life.

It is a VERY good feeling after 20 years of BT tyranny to be rid of them ... A VERY good feeling.

0 Ratings
MarkRocketman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 100 of 112

Go to solution

@gordgoodfellow 

@Andy_N 

Amazing is it not.  That there is no resolution other than walking away ?  Perhaps we are just not paying enough for BT as and ISP  to provide a working email solution as well. This is an opinion based on paying for a couple of mailboxs provided by companies whose business is more domain registration and web hosting than internet sevice provision. 

0 Ratings