Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

sign in to email on Android tablet.

Go to solution

I have an old, (by tablet standards) Android tablet running Android 4.2.2 I am a 73 yr old with terminal cancer and because I don't know how long I have, did not want to splash out on a more modern tablet, Lately I have been getting frequent notifications saying 'unable to sign in to..........@bt.com. The thing is I can sign in with no problems which begs the question as to why I keep getting them. The same problem keeps occuring with my gmail address which is my back up email on the tablet but my main email on my smart phone with the bt email as back up on it.  The  phone is not getting either of these notifications. If I click on the bt notification it just sends me the bt email app details.

Is this happening due to the age of the operating system, I cannot get updates for Chrome or Google and some websites will not work either saying I am using an out of date browser. I can use Firefox also which gets round that problem. I just keep deleting the notifications when they appear which is several times a day, sometimes every few minutes, the gmail one is worse than the bt one for this. I also have no problem signing in to gmail. Any advice or cures , if any!, would be welcome.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: sign in to email on Android tablet.

Go to solution

Have you checked to see if your tablet can get any Android operating system updates.

If you are not sure how to do that have a look at this link.

https://www.wikihow.tech/Manually-Upgrade-an-Android-Device-Operating-System

Are you using an app to access your BT email and if so which one?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for reply, Android app will not update to any newer operating systems. To access emails I just tap on 'go to inbox' on homescreen if that makes any sense.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

@pandaman wrote:

Thanks for reply, Android app will not update to any newer operating systems. To access emails I just tap on 'go to inbox' on homescreen if that makes any sense.

Sorry it doesn't help. Does that take you to your web browser page where you log in or does it take you to an email app where you are already logged in and you can see your emails and folders.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

It takes me straight to my emails, I don't have to log in. It has always been like this since I first set it up when it was new

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

You would appear to be using an email app. It may be that it is set to check for emails every 15  minutes of even more frequently. If for any reason your phone does not have a signal your email app will still check for new emails and if it can not connect you will get the message.

You could set your email app to check less frequently or even set it to only check manually when you actually click on the email app.

It would be your choice.

If you want to set it to check manually you need to click on it as you would normally and once the email app has opened you need to go to the settings by clicking on the three horizontal lines at the top left. You will then see a cog at the top right. Click on that and then click o your email account address and scroll down to Sync Schedule.  Click on it and then click on Set sync schedule and select either the time you want or manual.  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Ok thanks very much, I will try that. It was set for 15 min checks, I will alter that to a longer period. Thanks again for your help.

0 Ratings