Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

stopping disposable emails in the middle of the covid -19 crisis

https://www.bt.com/help/email/disposable-email-addresses-in-bt-yahoo-mail

A lot of people simply haven’t had time with the current crisis to sort out their disposable emails. If bt go ahead with stopping them from April they will (rightly in my opinion) come in for huge amounts of stick from trad and social media 

This simply isn’t in line with keeping us connected during the crisis 

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: stopping disposable emails in the middle of the covid -19 crisis

The clue is in the name, disposable, use once and discard. They were never intended to be used as countless extra email addresses.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

Yes you sit on your high horse while doctors, nurses and porters can’t access their supermarket or bank accounts because they didn’t understand the IT nuances of what you believe disposable emails should be used for, and surprisingly haven’t had time to sort it out the last couple of months.

I never said anything about “countless” emails, just that a lot of people who are trying to keep you safe don’t have time to deal with this at the moment . Strangely enough it’s not on their radar at the moment 

The disposable email address service is an old feature, originally introduced to help protect you from spam” ... this means in the early days a lot of non IT literate people, where uncertain, would have used them as a safeguard 

Its not like bt couldn’t have set up all emails to be forwarded to the main associated email account or anything sensible like that is it

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

BT informed BTYahoo email users around about August 2018 that the BTYahoo disposable email addresses would be stopped and that any users should make other arrangements.

This pre dates the present problem with the Coronavirus by well over a year which should have been more than enough notice for anybody, doctors nurses and porters included to have changed their use of the disposable addresses.

As regards forwarding them to the main account. The BTYahoo email system and the disposable emails use the Yahoo email servers. BT are moving BTYahoo customers away from Yahoo onto the BTMail system. Because of this, BT will have no association with Yahoo and can not continue to use their servers for anything associated with BTYahoo therefore forwarding would not work. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

Are you saying that users were told in 2018 that the disposable emails were being removed

I got an email from bt  9/12/19 that they were being removed , just before we knew about the crisis, but probably after it started

And this is an illogical argument anyway, whenever a system is replaced , or turned off, there are issues that need to be resolved, regardless of how prepared users think they  are. Even if everyone thinks they are prepared do bt really want to sorting out the inevitable issues when their call centres currently have a recording  saying they can only cope with calls emergency at the moment. Therefore for bt’s Own sake they should delay the switch off, even if they have as little empathy for the people that fall through the cracks as you do. And do they really want to have the backlash from the trad and social media

The government have delayed Vat going digital, IR35 changes to name just two that have been years in planning. They didn’t say , oh we’ve gone ahead because you’ve had lots of time to prepare. For heavens sakes you don’t make maintenance changes that can be delayed a few months in the middle of a crisis because you’re to stubborn and inflexible to delay. Even the olympics have been delayed , which will cost a lot more than just using the yahoo servers for a few more months

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Yes everyone was told in 2018 that the facility was being withdrawn.  Updates were issued at intervals as the deadline approached.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

Don't make assumption about empathy.

Yes users were told in 2018.

It is not an illogical argument, there is no argument. BT have said the are stopping the BTYahoo disposable email addresses. 

How do you know that BT are not going to delay it but to be on the safe side perhaps you should now do something with yours if you have any.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 12

I’m basing my assumptions on what you have written

There is an argument, a very strong argument for delaying the implementation for BTs own sake

I don’t know if they are delaying it because they haven’t communicated if they are even considering delaying it

I’ll look after my own affairs as best I can, but having empathy I’m concerned about others also

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

I'm guessing, but I suspect the decision is out of BT's hands and will be a Yahoo decision.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

@Gilb wrote:

I’m basing my assumptions on what you have written  As I said, don't make assumptions based on your interpretation of what was written.  Having said that you should have a re read of what and the apparent tone of what you posted and see if your post actually deserves empathy.

There is an argument, a very strong argument for delaying the implementation for BTs own sake  And what would that be.  There has been very little comment on this forum about this since BT announced it in 2018

I don’t know if they are delaying it because they haven’t communicated if they are even considering delaying it I guess we will all just need to wait and see.

I’ll look after my own affairs as best I can, but having empathy I’m concerned about others also

0 Ratings