cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 30

suddenly can only get emails through cellular -BT server not working on WiFi unless through a VPN

Go to solution

Hello, two days again my iPhone and iPad stopped collecting email messages on WiFi. I can get them using cellular data and if I turn on my VPN but otheriwse I get error messages like The IMAP server at mail.btinternet.com is not responding.

I can send,I just can’t recieve and on the BT webmail everything works so the issue is between the BT server and my router.

i know it’s not the settings as cellular works and anyway I haven’t changed anything.

i know it’s not the router as a) I have reset it just to check and b) I can access the internet fine as can others with me.

I know it’s not the devices as other email accounts work perfectly fine, it’s just my BT email account.

BT online help have no answers so far other than to point me towards Apple who were brilliant but confirmed the issue was their end. 

Has anyone had this happen before and if so what did they do to fix it. 

Many thanks 

0 Ratings
29 REPLIES 29
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 30

Re: suddenly can only get emails through cellular -BT server not working on WiFi unless through a VP

Go to solution

@Outofideas wrote:

Hello, two days again my iPhone and iPad stopped collecting email messages on WiFi. I can get them using cellular data and if I turn on my VPN but otheriwse I get error messages like The IMAP server at mail.btinternet.com is not responding.

I can send,I just can’t recieve and on the BT webmail everything works so the issue is between the BT server and my router.

i know it’s not the settings as cellular works and anyway I haven’t changed anything.

Has anyone had this happen before and if so what did they do to fix it. 

Many thanks 

Hi, welcome to the forums.

This is a very common problem, with no magic answer I'm afraid. Sometimes it's a simple matter of waiting, since the fault could last a few hours to a few days.

The thing not to do is change any passwords.

Over the past few weeks, more and more reports have been saying that Apple devices are failing for one reason or other. However, as you've said - access via 3/4G is fine - leading to the only conclusion that it's an issue with the connection to the server from the device. What iOS version is running?

Do you know if you're with BTYahoo or BTMail? Webmail access will show a yahoo image.

If BTYahoo, try logging into :-

https://mail.yahoo.com

this has shown to kick access into life, but still doesn't answer the mobile access.

There is an indication that Apple has a slight issue with email, fixed by a very recent iOS update - but I've no idea how relevant that is, or whether it only affected wifi - or even relevant at all.

The usual things like power cycling the router (e.g. power down, leave off for 15 minutes, then restart) have been shown to help in the past to get a new IP address.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 30

Re: suddenly can only get emails through cellular -BT server not working on WiFi unless through a VP

Go to solution

Hello, thank you for trying to help me.  I have not done a power cycle on the router so will try that. I did the latest IOS update on both devices yesterday but that didn’t help. I am on BT mail. What is funny, is when I joined this forum I got the email from the BT care team asking me to confirm my email address and on WiFi without a VPN. I thought hah, maybe this is an answer, get the email addresses authorised as it were so signed in with another BT email address to see if by asking BT care to authorise my email addresses that might somehow clear the issue but nope, back to square one.

that said, your email has also reached me and again is on WiFi so it’s clearly hit and miss. Still getting error messages.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 30

Go to solution

Sorry, one. Ore question, if it’s an iOS issue why would, other email accounts work ok? It’s just BT that won’t sync. Thanks again

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 30

Go to solution

@Outofideas wrote:

Sorry, one. Ore question, if it’s an iOS issue why would, other email accounts work ok? It’s just BT that won’t sync. Thanks again

It is a mystery, that really a tech person from the Mail team needs to check out. I.e have a similar device and able to check how the access is made through the system, whether via mobile or wifi. Unfortunately I don't think they are approached.

It would point at an issue with the BT servers, because another recent poster has an issue with one of their two BTinternet accounts, whereas the other is fine - however it's not clear what mobile device is being used.

Most of the recent reported issues in this forum with access are Apple devices. Of course, that can easily be a red herring pointing solely at server access via their btbroadband connection.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
BT Email Expert
BT Email Expert
Message 6 of 30

Go to solution

Can you send the Mods your email address and I'll ask someone to pull the logs to see if we can see what is happening.

Simon.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 30

Go to solution

@Simon-D wrote:

Can you send the Mods your email address and I'll ask someone to pull the logs to see if we can see what is happening.

Simon.

Not sure who that is aimed at but it will require an invite to them from the mods in order to be able to contact them. Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 30

Go to solution

Hi @Outofideas

You can send in your details, using the contact the mods link in my profile.

Thanks

Stuart

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 30

Go to solution

Hi guys I have exactly the same issue. My iPhone SE stopped getting BTInternet Emails on home Wi-fi but gets them fine when Wi-fi is off and on local 3/4G. I also have Gmail account and that is not affected. I also find same when on a 3rd party Wi-fi like local restaurant but switch off and on to 3G and mail comes into inbox fine. I have saved screen shot of error if I can see how to share that. Many thanks in advance for any solutions. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 30

Go to solution

Hi Simon 
Problem had been ongoing for last 7 days. Turn off Wi-fi and onto 3/4G and mail comes into inbox fine. Gmail is not impacted and received in either Wi-fi or 3G. Wi-fi is home Wi-fi and 3rd Party like restaurants. All act the same. I have screen shot of errors if I can post it. Thanks Paul

Error is called ‘Account Error’

0 Ratings