cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 30

Re: suddenly can only get emails through cellular -BT server not working on WiFi unless through a VP

Go to solution

BT email only allows a batch of 49 emails to be sent at one time.

BT email is exactly the same regardless if you are on the "free" email system with your broadband package or if you pay for the "Premium" email. 

You would probably be better using a free gmail account. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 30

Re: suddenly can only get emails through cellular -BT server not working on WiFi unless through a VP

Go to solution

OK thansk for the advice GG30340.

I understand from another post here that you have to wait 24 hours for it to clear, and not attempt to send any others until that 24 hour period is passed 😞

cheers, Paul

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 30

Go to solution

All retruned to normal this morning !! Thanks.

So with max of 49 emails, is that like over a short period of time? Say 10 mins?

Or is that where the ditribution list is 49 or greater in one email?

cheers, Paul

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 30

Go to solution

As far as I'm aware, it is just a limit on the number of recipients in one email. I don't believe there are any time constraints between mails of 49 recipients each.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 30

Go to solution

OK thank you for getting back to me Liquorice. I'll be careful in future. It's the 24 hour for the system clear which is a pain of course. I used Gmail to send the larger distribution email - club members - and that went through fine. I read that it is not just number of recepients in the email, but the number of emails sent per mnute, one guru quotes 30 per minute max, other quote 49 recipient in one email max. etc.  Cheers, Paul

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 26 of 30

Go to solution

@PSB1950wrote:

Hi DanielS, me again, with the same problem I had earlier in the month, when in Portugal. Emails won't send from Outlook, or iPhone. Error message is: -

Task 'q - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC67) : '  The server responded: 421 Too many messages (2.3.2.3) from 86.166.107.212'

I was sending over 60 emails yesterday afternoon sending photos to my daughter, who is making a collage for her wedding day (this coming Sunday), it stopped send about halfway through.

So I should wait for 24 hours and the system will re-set?

If this is a known fault (or system security response to me sending a large number of email) then my business is on hold, and my clients will be looking elsewhere for support. Can I buy a different email package from BT so I am allowed to send lots of emails, although 60 isn't  a lot in a 90 minute period is it.

thanks in advance, Paul

Hi again.

Your email address is currently showing, please can a moderator edit the post.

Non UK use does seem to cause various issues.

With regard limits to sending emails, 49 recipients is the limit for a single email, but it's not specifically known how many emails can be sent in any period. I assume that's for some security issues, and to prevent spammers knowing these limits.

There's always been a problem with not knowing how many emails can be sent. Many people will be in local groups, e.g. walking clubs, sports clubs etc - and need to send emails to contacts, especially if they might be one of the committee/coordinators. Programs like Thunderbird can use a mail merge feature, where a personal email can be sent to each of the different recipients. That will naturally cause problems if the limit is 30 per minute or so. The system might believe that the sender is a spammer.

In your case sending a lot of emails to one recipient could also fall foul of some anti-spam robots.

Really the thing to do for a lot of people is to stop using BTinternet for email completely, and use something else. BTinternet do not supply a different email package.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 27 of 30

Go to solution

thanks for your advice Andy_N, all makes sense. Cheers, Paul

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 28 of 30

Go to solution

I picked up this discussion when looking for a solution to my own problem with downloading emails. Similar to @Outofideas, since early this year, I’ve been unable to download messages from our btinternet accounts while connected to Wi-Fi, whenever I’m out of the country. This affects my iPad and iPhone, as well as my wife’s iPhone, and has occurred in Australia, Canada, France and Greece. We’ve not had any problems prior to this year.

My first work round was to forward emails from our btinternet accounts to Gmail, which we were then able to download, but this is a messy solution. As others have discovered, I then found that messages download OK while using a VPN or via cellular if we turn Wi-Fi off. 

From the discussion, there doesn’t appear to be a clear solution so any help would be appreciated. Many thanks.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 29 of 30

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 30 of 30

Go to solution

Thanks @licquorice for your response. I could understand that it may be a local ISP problem, if it didn’t happen wherever we are abroad. In addition, on our latest trip to Greece, we were staying with a friend who also has a btinternet address using an iPad on the same Wi-Fi connection and who had no problem whatsoever! Something of a mystery.

0 Ratings