Message 1 of 6

unable to connect to mail server

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
nogg
Beginner
Message 2 of 6

Re: unable to connect to mail server

Not using Apple mail but today I can't log-in via Outlook+IMAP. Webmail works OK and, suprisingly, all the other sub-accounts but not my main a/c.

0 Ratings
nogg
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Just fixed my IMAP problem by logging in to ...https://login.yahoo.com/  instead of bt.com, using the same password. After that my Outlook IMAP account started working. This was advice from another contributor and it worked for me. Try it!

0 Ratings
mrneal001
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

I posted this reply to someone elses query and Im sure it will fix your issue too. Hope it works.

Really Important Advice For All Windows Live Client & Other Client Email Software Users!!!!!

I cant emphasis how many times and how many hours I have spent changing passwords and talking with people across the assistance team at BT with no resolve.

Official Solution Is:

Simple Answer Is.... Wait!!!!!!

I know this seems "CRAZY" but honestly this works. Ive tried everything and this worked. Please ensure you follow the steps literally as I have stated otherwise one account will block the method.

1. Stop all client software downloading emails (i.e. If you have Windows Live Mail - Close it down (i.e. X box it) and wait until it is fully closed (usually there is a little mail folder in the bottom task bar to the bottom right of your screen).
  2. If you have any other client software running - Stop it running! (i.e. your phone, stop this from downloading or sometimes simpler to just remove from  your phone if you can - please bare in mind if you remove software from your phone or PC that you stand losing your emails if it is running POP and not IMAP) If your client software is running IMAP, your emails should be linked directly to BTs Email WebMail and therefore stores all your email info on your personal Email. If you can simply stop a client software from downloading or communicating to your email account do this.
  3. Really important - make sure all third party email client software utilities have been stopped. This must be on all devices you have. Cant emphasise this enough - ALL DEVICES MUST have all Email Software stopped.
  4. Go to the main BT Email Login Page.
  5. Login to your email which is having the problem. You should have no problem accessing it via this route.
  6. Once your on your email page - go to the top right & hover over the cog (if nothing appears - just click on it once and a box should appear with options)
  7. Click on  "Account Info"
  8. Change your Password. It will only let you use a NEW password, not an old one you have used before with this account.
  9. Once you have entered your new password and click on continue (think it is continue - Im not doing it again as Ive got my email to work and dont want it muck up)
  10. You should be directed to a screen saying Change Password Successful and its houdl show Green. If it is Red and states that it was unsuccessful, repeat the process until successful.
  11. Now - The MOST Important!!!! - WAIT....... PLEASE JUST WAIT AT LEAST 15 minutes  before attempting to sign in with any software on your pc, tablet or phone. 
  12. After waiting AT LEAST 15 Minutes  - go to one of your devices. I did my phone 1st as it is the simplest format, then my PC Windows Live Mail system. Remember to change your password to your new one.
  13. Repeat over all devices.
  14. Hopefully you have had the success that I have, you should have started to download your mail and your email should now be accessible again.

I cant state how many hours I have wasted and no one at BT told me this and believe they dont even know this fix. BUT, honestly, something so simple is the fix for this.

I had this happen every 2 - 3 months on one of my email accounts and just have to remember to do this process every time it crops up as I dont believe BT will make the permanent fix which would remove this problem.

However, hope this helps many many people who are having the same issue as me.

I know I would have saved so much time had I have read this post, so truly hope it saves everyone else so much time.

Kind Regards

Martyn

nogg
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Thanks for advice. I'll save this for the next time!

0 Ratings
mrneal001
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Your more than welcome. Its a horrific problem which will keep reoccurring unfortunately. Kind Regards, Martyn

0 Ratings