Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rodcrit
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 22

unable to send email from office outlook

Go to solution

Friday afternoon suddenly unable to send or receive emails using microsoft office outlook. has been working OK for many months if not years.  office outlook is set up for POP3 access. I could access my emails using web interface - but not from outlook

Since Saturday afternoon can now receive emails but sending emails fails for various returned error messages. 

it is obviously a server problem  -  the problem is present on 3 pcs using 5 different email addresses and on two Samsung mobile phones.  I have a new smart home hub where everything was working OK.

I even tried setting up a new email address in bt yahoo mail and then connecting my outlook to it   -  but that failed with server returning unable to access credentials.

Bt chat help is worse than useless  -  I tell them it is obviously a server problem   -  no it isnt they reply - we cannot help you.

I am a retrired BT engineer and I am disgusted at the level of help and/or expertise now present in BT customer interface.

not sure wehat to do now !  I notice some other users are having similar problems  -  is BT aware of what is going on ?

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
rodcrit
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 22

Re: Error 0781 - Unable to send emails

Go to solution

I have the same problem since Friday afternoon.

then I could neither send of receive emails using microsoft office outlook.  Since Saturday afternoon can now receive emails but sending emails fails for various returned error messages.

Am using POP3 access from outlook which has been working for many years  -  just suddenly now getting this problem.

it is obviously a server problem  -  the problem is present on 3 pcs using 5 different email addresses and on two Samsung mobile phones.

I even tried setting up a new email address in bt yahoo mail and then connecting my outlook to it   -  but that failed with server returning unable to access credentials.

Bt chat help is worse than useless  -  I tell them it is obviously a server problem   -  no it isnt they reply - we cannot help you.

I am a retrired BT engineer and I am disgusted at the level of help and/or expertise now present in BT customer interface.

not sure wehat to do now !

0 Ratings
rodcrit
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 22

Re: unable to send email from office outlook

Go to solution

since posting this   -  tried to do a test access from the account setting page....   test account settings.

it seems to log onto the server ok but when going to send the test message this is what is returned:-

Send test e-mail message: Your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server has reported an internal error. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).  The server responded: 554 IP Address rejected for policy reasons.

the so called help contact chat people will not accept that this is a BT problem and will not raise a fault docket on this subject.

please advise how I indicate to BT that there is a problem and how do I contact someone in BT who has some idea of what they are doing  ...  I am getting fed up with the responses I am getting from BT contact individuals.

HELP !!!!!

giorgissimo
Beginner
Message 4 of 22

Go to solution

I spent a while going around in circles for exactly the same reasons (no acceptance that the issue must be their end; no agreement to do anything about it). First time I eventually lost patience and gained some sympathy from the person I was talking to, suggesting they just don't have the expertise / authority to do anything at all except suggest stock answers.

I'm more than ready to quit - but of course they've removed the auto-forwarding option, which would make shifting to a new (non BT) email address would be a lot more complicated and time-consuming...

It's baffling how these long-running issues (and thereby us customers) are just ignored and forgotten by the company.

0 Ratings
TimSmedley
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 22

Go to solution

Hi.  I have the same issue today! How did you resiove your problem? Tim

0 Ratings
giorgissimo
Beginner
Message 6 of 22

Go to solution
I don't know about the other poster, but I've never found a solution except waiting until it resolves – and using webmail in the meantime...
rodcrit
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 22

Go to solution

no I have not had the issue resolved.  gave up talking to the idiots on the chat lines  -  they have no idea what they are looking at  ,.  they dont listen/read what people are saying to them  -  so just say cant help you.

I still have the issue  -  finally last friday phoned 151 and actually got to talk to somebody who could listen. he piggybacked onto my PC and saw exactly what was happening.  he could not suggest a solution but was going to escalate it up the chain and I would get a call back Tuesday ( today Sunday ) so watch this space

giorgissimo
Beginner
Message 8 of 22

Go to solution
Thanks for sharing -- interested to see what he comes up with...
0 Ratings
Cappuccino24
Contributor
Message 9 of 22

Go to solution

I didn't get any emails through to Outlook all day and although they all just came through now this latest problem has finally made me start transferring emails over to Gmail. I've had the BT address for about 18 years but recently it's just had so many problems and nobody at BT actually listens or tries to solve them so I think I need to finally start the process.

0 Ratings
rodcrit
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 22

Go to solution

Is there not a moderator who can report all these comments to BT. surely it must be obvious to them that something is not right.

I am a retired BT software and electronics engineer and I am disgusted at the state that BT is in nowadays. it wasnt like this in my day 🙂 

0 Ratings