Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 61 of 74

Re: unrecognised imap 4 command when using thunderbird

Go to solution

@licquoricewrote:

@V_Meldrew  As you can't change protocols on the fly, I thought you were attempting to just change the port number and expecting it to change protocol without deleting and recreating the account.

Fair Do's.

Given the brevity of my last message I can see how you would conclude that.

I was out and about at the time of that message and was typing on my phone so I kept it short.

chrissaf
Beginner
Message 62 of 74

Go to solution

I have this issue too......but I also have a potential fix for others to try.

For the last couple of days I have been having dialogue about this issue on bugzilla (Thunderbird support community pages).

Tonight, the tech person I have been having dialogue with gave me a fix to try which seems to have fixed the issue.

The fix involves opening the TB Config Editor and toggling the following config line in TB from 'true' to 'false'

mail.server.default.send_client_info

To open the 'Config Editor'

Follow this TB menu path: Tools > Options......select the 'Advanced' tab....then 'General'

then click 'Config Editor'

agree to 'Accept the Risk'

Look for the line

Toggle 'True' to 'False' (Toggle is a right click command option when the cursor has the line highlighted)

Close and restart TB.

The IMAP4 error message issue should then go away.

According to my bugzilla tech support person. This issue has arisen before with a different mail ISP and the quoted config line was added to TB to resolve it on that occasion. The message arises because the client sends an INFORMATIONAL IMAP4 ID command that the BT server doesn't recognise, so it returns an IMAP4 command not recognised error. This two way syntax is an optional part of the IMAP RFC and not all servers implement it.

By changing the the config line quoted above from 'True' to 'False' the sending of this optional IMAP4 ID command is suppressed.

Post script.

Previous posts in this thread have mentioned the apparent intermittent nature of the error message. Below is an extract of dialogue I had on bugzilla that explains this phenomenon.

"Although you will see this error pop up, it really causes no harm since the ID command is really just for informational purposes and doesn't affect incoming email (and has no relation to outgoing email). Also, once connections are established, you won't see this again until connections are dropped due to inactivity which often occurs after about 1/2 an hour. Also, when you send an email and tb has been idle a while, you will see this when tb opens a new connection to the server to save the message to Sent folder.

Also, since sending ID is completely optional, other clients such as mobile mail apps may not even send it."

V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 63 of 74

Go to solution

@chrissafwrote:

I have this issue too......but I also have a potential fix for others to try.

For the last couple of days I have been having dialogue about this issue on bugzilla (Thunderbird support community pages).

Tonight, the tech person I have been having dialogue with gave me a fix to try which seems to have fixed the issue.

The fix involves opening the TB Config Editor and toggling the following config line in TB from 'true' to 'false'

To open the 'Config Editor'

Follow this TB menu path: Tools > Options......select the 'Advanced' tab....then 'General'

then click 'Config Editor'

agree to 'Accept the Risk'

Look for the line

Toggle 'True' to 'False' (Toggle is a right click command option when the cursor has the line highlighted)

Close and restart TB.

The IMAP4 error message issue should then go away.

According to my bugzilla tech support person. This issue has arisen before with a different mail ISP and the quoted config line was added to TB to resolve it on that occasion. The message arises because the client sends an INFORMATIONAL IMAP4 ID command that the BT server doesn't recognise, so it returns an IMAP4 command not recognised error. This two way syntax is an optional part of the IMAP RFC and not all servers implement it.

By changing the the config line quoted above from 'True' to 'False' the sending of this optional IMAP4 ID command is suppressed.

Post script.

Previous posts in this thread have mentioned the apparent intermittent nature of the error message. Below is an extract of dialogue I had on bugzilla that explains this phenomenon.

"Although you will see this error pop up, it really causes no harm since the ID command is really just for informational purposes and doesn't affect incoming email (and has no relation to outgoing email). Also, once connections are established, you won't see this again until connections are dropped due to inactivity which often occurs after about 1/2 an hour. Also, when you send an email and tb has been idle a while, you will see this when tb opens a new connection to the server to save the message to Sent folder.

Also, since sending ID is completely optional, other clients such as mobile mail apps may not even send it."

Good Tip @chrissaf .

I'll be honest, I was skeptical but I tried it and ....... (whisper it)....so far so good.

@SeanD , It's looking good here so far, it could be that all is required is for BT to update the mail server software so that it recognizes Informational IMAP4 Commands as per above in the post from Chrissaf 

rugbyguy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 64 of 74

Go to solution

The problem with IMAP4 is also that messages aren't saved. Therefore you dont have any record !.

Also tried that fix prior to changing, unfortunately no joy still problem.
So, as decided let BT get it fixed, they caused it with their changes, let them fix it !. Rgds.

0 Ratings
BA777
Beginner
Message 65 of 74

Go to solution

Just for info everything started working properly again when logged on to EM Client at 21.24 ie emails downloaded as expected (no changes made at all to client configs)

0 Ratings
old_email
Aspiring Expert
Message 66 of 74

Go to solution

@V_Meldrewwrote:

Good Tip @chrissaf .

I'll be honest, I was skeptical but I tried it and ....... (whisper it)....so far so good.

@SeanD , It's looking good here so far, it could be that all is required is for BT to update the mail server software so that it recognizes Informational IMAP4 Commands as per above in the post from Chrissaf 

Even better for BT to restore the settings they previously had and pay more attention to their change log when things are altered and customers report problems.  I don't see it being a good move that I have to change software settings that have worked for years because BT have changed something their end, wittingly or otherwise.  Poor discipline and procedures I suggest.

steve207
Aspiring Contributor
Message 67 of 74

Go to solution
hi done the change and it seems to work but then yesterday it seemed to be fixed as well what im sceptical about is why it sometimes works all day ok then starts happening at random do BT switch servers or route you through different ones hence some servers ok others not also the random login request issue
0 Ratings
chrissaf
Beginner
Message 68 of 74

Go to solution

For anybody who wants to read the full two way dialogue on Bugzilla (contains additional information not included in my post on this forum) then it can be viewed here:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1571655

This link provided at the request of the support person (Gene Smith) who had been dealing with my issue on the bugzilla site.

Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 69 of 74

Go to solution

Good morning everyone,

Firstly, thanks for reporting the problem to us and sorry for any inconvenience you’ve had getting access to your email.

We believe the issue is now fixed as of around 00:12 on 09/08/2019, please test and let us know how you get on?

The problem seems to be specific to Thunderbird clients, and a specific IMAP protocol command (the ID command), we have been making some updates to our IMAP front end software, and it looks like when Thunderbird clients log in, we see the ID command at a specific point in the sequence of commands which was throwing an error. We’ve put a fix in place to work around this issue.

Hopefully you no longer have any more problem but please let us know if you do.

Cheers

Sean

BA777
Beginner
Message 70 of 74

Go to solution

Hi Sean - thanks for this.

I don't use Thunderbird - I use EM Client and had the same problems as I've posted. However, this morning everything is working ok ie receiving and sending emails.  Maybe the configs are similar as I haven't changed anything.

0 Ratings