Did you mean: 
allanraymond
Aspiring Expert
Message 41 of 91

Re: what have you done to my email?

Go to solution

@gg30340wrote:

@allanraymondwrote:

I  use an email client but at present it has gone belly up because of problems at BT end which means I can't send or receive emails using the client, this is a well known issue coveered in detail on another thread.     I have had to revert to one of my browsers to access my emails until such time as the issue clears itself.  So it really isn't appropriate to keep briging up that we shouldn be using browsers to access our emails whilst we are thwrated sometimes due to the intermittent problems in accessing via a client.

It is a well known issue that given there are over seven million BT users generally only affects a small number of the users who are in the main on the BTYahoo email system, which I believe you are on from your previous posts, so it really is appropriate to keep bringing it up that an email client is different and better way to access your email. 

This is even more appropriate when you consider that the new user interface (UI) that is being complained about is on the BTMail system and not the BTYahoo system.

It should be noted that nobody has said you should not be using browsers to access your email . All that has been said is that there are many advantages to using an email client not least of which given the complaints about the "new" webpage is that BT can not change its UI.

I was really referring to the comment "why would anyone want to use a web browersr" to access their emails. In my case it is because I can't realiable depend on seeing my emails in my email client.

0 Ratings
Mike_H025
Message 42 of 91

Go to solution

This morning for no obvious reason the superfast broadband advert has disappeared, thank goodness! I had started changing some essential notification addresses to Yahoo. Others may follow as recently I have had problems  with email sent from BT being blocked and not arriving at the other end, but I am entirely unaware that there's a problem unless the recipient tells me. And how would they know? Some were quite important. Example, I was second executor to my uncle's state, but as I live 100's of miles away the 1st executor had to act on my behalf. As proof of identity, solicitor wanted a scan of my photo ID driving licence. Sent that with BT mail. Three days later she's saying "Well where is it? I need it for Monday when I go to see the solicitor" Just so happened I was away from home at that precise moment so no access to computer but I was able to do it again with the iPhone!

Re the "new look" I don't see any unless we're not talking about the web page version of BT mail? (via My BT Dashboard on the net). Looks the same BUT suddenly if a message is deleted it no longer automatically goes to the next one after it in the messages list. (?)

0 Ratings
jaybs1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 43 of 91

Go to solution

I can assure you the few hours that The New BT Email Page was live, there was a deffinite change and looked easier, only for it to disappear a few hours later!

Perhaps BT dropped working on bring it back or even allowing us to sign on Thursday afternoon for the Bank Holiday and it will be Tuesday before they are back at work, will BT EMAIL be a priority even then? I doubt it, not sure how quickly will responsd to complaints by their own website complaints, or mail, perhaps if we are lucky in about ten days time, then it will be two weeks without Access to BT EMAIL, completely unacceptable.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 44 of 91

Go to solution

@Mike_H025 wrote:

Re the "new look" I don't see any unless we're not talking about the web page version of BT mail? (via My BT Dashboard on the net). Looks the same BUT suddenly if a message is deleted it no longer automatically goes to the next one after it in the messages list. (?)

Log onto your email via a web browser and go to the settings which can be found by clicking on your user name at the top right and then go to "mail" and ensure that the box marked " view next mail after move/delete" is ticked.

0 Ratings
piglet22
Aspiring Expert
Message 45 of 91

Go to solution

If you had Outlook or similar installed, not only would you not have even noticed the change, you wouldn't have had to spend an hour messing about with BT Mail in the first place. BT Mail is pretty poor before it was messed about with, and has history for being insecure. If you like the ads and the aggro, then stick with what you have. Outlook is a lot kinder when it comes to stress. All I want BT for is a respectable-sounding email address.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 46 of 91

Go to solution

@piglet22wrote:

If you had Outlook or similar installed, not only would you not have even noticed the change, you wouldn't have had to spend an hour messing about with BT Mail in the first place. BT Mail is pretty poor before it was messed about with, and has history for being insecure. If you like the ads and the aggro, then stick with what you have. Outlook is a lot kinder when it comes to stress. All I want BT for is a respectable-sounding email address.

Outlook is not a free client and is part of the Office suite, though it can be part of a PC deal.

Not sure about BT Mail having a history for being insecure, can you cite evidence to support that?

As others have pointed out, not everyone wishes to use a client or app, and are happy with browser/webmail access - unfortunately when the UI has altered, it can cause a lot of pain for some people.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 47 of 91

Go to solution

@piglet22 wrote:

I also use an email client on all my devices, only occasionally using webmail and in my experiance BTMail is generly a stable and reliable email service. 

I agree with your comments about using an email client but not with you comment that  "BT Mail is pretty poor before it was messed about with, and has history for being insecure". If you had said that about BYahoo I would have agreed with you but as far as I am aware there have been no breaches of the BTMail security other than on individual email accounts, which may have been initiated by user error such as falling for phishing email, rather than a systems security problem.

0 Ratings
PeterE17
Aspiring Contributor
Message 48 of 91

Go to solution

Another way to break out of the circle is to delete the cookies for btmail.bt.com  - at least, it works for me (and it did before when a previous upgrade caused the same access problems). 

ps I worked in IT for 30 years on IBM mainframes and Unix systems and have absoutely no idea what the parrots mean by "mail client".  

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 49 of 91

Go to solution

@PeterE17 wrote:

ps I worked in IT for 30 years on IBM mainframes and Unix systems and have absoutely no idea what the parrots mean by "mail client".  

Oh dear, 30 years wasted!!!

PeterE17
Aspiring Contributor
Message 50 of 91

Go to solution

Parrot ... you know who you are. 

0 Ratings