Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 71 of 91

Re: what have you done to my email?

Go to solution

@Whiskers wrote:

I don't see any ads at all, I use an adblocker, your emails are still on a server to get them to your email client so are still vunerable to hacking. 

I use at least 5 operating systems and as it was before easy to access from any OS without the need for a dedicated client.

The emails are only on the server until I have collected them. They are then deleted from the server automatically. The email client is set to fetch the emails every five minutes. Depending on your email service you can use push email so the emails get pushed to your email client as soon as the arrive on the server so there would be none lost.

I use six devices with five different operating systems so I don't see why you think it is any easier to use webmail than an email client. If anything it is easier to use an email client because once you have set it up on your device you don't need to log on every time you want to use it and you can set up the email client to access as many email accounts across different email services as you want.

Do you use any mobile devices if so how do you access your email on that?

Does your email service change the look and workings of your web page without warning.... 

allanraymond
Aspiring Expert
Message 72 of 91

Go to solution

@Whiskerswrote:

I don't see any ads at all, I use an adblocker, your emails are still on a server to get them to your email client so are still vunerable to hacking. 

I use at least 5 operating systems and as it was before easy to access from any OS without the need for a dedicated client.

I also don't see any adds as I also use an ad blocker.

I was also a keen user of browser access to my emails but some time ago after numerous comments from the so called gurus (this is meant as polite reference)  I also started to use email clients. Initially I used Thunderbird but just under a year ago I came across eM Client and this is now my preferred email client.

eM Client produces a backup each day which meams at most I would only lose 24 hours worth of emails, my PC in is automiacally backed every 10 minutes for any files which have changed during this period.

Out of prefernce I use eM Client over broweser access but use both at the same time, so I'm quite neutral as to which is most suitable. On balance I would go with eM Client.

0 Ratings
Whiskers
Contributor
Message 73 of 91

Go to solution

@gg30340wrote:

@Whiskerswrote:

The emails are only on the server until I have collected them. They are then deleted from the server automatically. The email client is set to fetch the emails every five minutes. Depending on your email service you can use push email so the emails get pushed to your email client as soon as the arrive on the server so there would be none lost.

I use six devices with five different operating systems so I don't see why you think it is any easier to use webmail than an email client. If anything it is easier to use an email client because once you have set it up on your device you don't need to log on every time you want to use it and you can set up the email client to access as many email accounts across different email services as you want.

Do you use any mobile devices if so how do you access your email on that?

Does your email service change the look and workings of your web page without warning.... 

So if they are pushed to an Email client that is operating and working another email client on another machine will not pick themup if they have been deleted from the server!!!

0 Ratings
allanraymond
Aspiring Expert
Message 74 of 91

Go to solution

@Whiskerswrote:

So if they are pushed to an Email client that is operating and working another email client on another machine will not pick themup if they have been deleted from the server!!!

I agree with you on this, I can't see why you would want to remove them from the server. If I'm away from home using my laptop rather than my normal home PC I would or may want access to some of my older emails.

0 Ratings
Whiskers
Contributor
Message 75 of 91

Go to solution

@allanraymondwrote:

@Whiskerswrote:

I agree with you on this, I can't see why you would want to remove them from the server. If I'm away from home using my laptop rather than my normal home PC I would or may want access to some of my older emails.

Ah, someone who has his blinkers removed!!!!

Why would you automatically emove them from the server if you are using multiple OS, You wouldn't have a complete record in one place of your emails. Also your machine dies, irrecoverable disc faliure, unless you have backups you have lost them all.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 76 of 91

Go to solution

@Whiskers wrote:

@allanraymondwrote:

@Whiskerswrote:

Ah, someone who has his blinkers removed!!!!

Why would you automatically emove them from the server if you are using multiple OS, You wouldn't have a complete record in one place of your emails. Also your machine dies, irrecoverable disc faliure, unless you have backups you have lost them all.

My mistake, I was mixing my use and how they could be used in my reply rather than being totally specific how you could use them. It depends on how the individual wants to use them. They can be set up in a variety of different ways using different protocols or a mixture of both if you are using them on more than one device. It depends on your email service if you can use push email because not all email services offer that facility. BT don't.

In my case I have all the email clients bar one set to fetch emails which are downloaded onto the different devices.  (this also acts as an additional  back up because the emails are now on all the devices) The email clients on those devices are not set to delete the emails from the server.

The "last" device has the email client set not set to fetch the email. It is set to retrieve the emails manually and once it I have done that it deletes the emails from the server. I only use this device at the end of the day and it is used for my main backup off the device. 

This method might not suit everbody but it suits me.

There are plenty tutorials on the Internet about setting up and using email clients. 

As regards having blinkers on, is that not pot calling kettle black. You seem pretty blinkered about only using a web browser but as I said, each to their own. You can even use a combination of both webmail and email clients and you don't need to delete the email from the server if you feel that it is safe to leave them there if it suits your needs.

0 Ratings
jaybs1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 77 of 91

Go to solution

It was the 17th March 2019 after the new BT Email was launched within a few hours it was down, I have not been able to access my email onine from the BT.com website, yes you can sign in. until yesterday when you pressed on email took you to first a special offers page for a few days, then that was changed to a Broadband offer??

Yesteray afternoon we seemed to make progress, pressing on Email, it took me to my account showing that I only have one BT Email, press then to go onto my account and Yes once more back to the BT Broadband special offers!

I have spoke to BT in Belfast now twice only to be told sorry it will be back up soon, I have sent an email complaint and no reply.

For how much I pay this is simply not good enough! I like to use the BT.com to check my email, whatever I am using, or in an hotel!

50 Years with BT, but this is really thinking if it is time now to Leave!

0 Ratings
piglet22
Contributor
Message 78 of 91

Go to solution
Good luck
0 Ratings
Whiskers
Contributor
Message 79 of 91

Go to solution

@jaybs1wrote:

It was the 17th March 2019 after the new BT Email was launched within a few hours it was down, I have not been able to access my email onine from the BT.com website, yes you can sign in. until yesterday when you pressed on email took you to first a special offers page for a few days, then that was changed to a Broadband offer??

Yesteray afternoon we seemed to make progress, pressing on Email, it took me to my account showing that I only have one BT Email, press then to go onto my account and Yes once more back to the BT Broadband special offers!

I have spoke to BT in Belfast now twice only to be told sorry it will be back up soon, I have sent an email complaint and no reply.

For how much I pay this is simply not good enough! I like to use the BT.com to check my email, whatever I am using, or in an hotel!

50 Years with BT, but this is really thinking if it is time now to Leave!

Are you using Chrome, the problem seems to be with chrome on the constant redirect tothe offers page.

Just done it to me again, can get on on IE

0 Ratings
Highlighted
kchops
Contributor
Message 80 of 91

Go to solution

@Jaybs 

I am using Firefox and I do not see the tick boxes at all.

0 Ratings