Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Whiskers
Contributor
Message 31 of 91

Re: what have you done to my email?

Go to solution

@ey7777wrote:

"My email is back and updated to a new interface, which I do not care for, but at least I can now get on with my work again.

The issue is why are you using a browser to access emails rather than a dedicated mail client?"

I'd like to comment on the above question. On a different thread, I've been talking about problems I have using mail clients with my BT email address. In the course of discussing it with BT support, I have been told twice the following: "Bt only guarantees email via webmail - we do not advise using a client." I responded to that telling them I was very shocked to hear that - but they said it was only ever designed to be used via webmail. I did ask them to show me where in their terms and conditions or any of their marketing material they inform the customer of this. They have yet to respond to that request.

I have been using BT Mail since being transferred over from BTYahoo mail for over 15 years without a dedicated email Client of any sort on various operating systems and at least 7 different computers, never any problems apart from the occasional broadband outage, and now this self inflicted c0ck up by BT.

It really stinks.

Makes me want to change provider.

The issue is why are you using a browser to access emails rather than a dedicated mail client?"

Using a browser is easier when you are using 5 operating systems at the current time, gives me access from whatever machine I am using.

0 Ratings
Whiskers
Contributor
Message 32 of 91

Go to solution

@jaybs1wrote:

Mine has never worked since after a few hours of the new email layout, day after day we are told it is nearly completed shouldn't be long! but that has wore then, at least they have changed the page we are directed to when you click on Email, not it is about Broadband!

One time here in The Community we were kept updated, but there seems a deadly silence, no one outside of this community in the media seem to be picking up on it, why? it's a complete disgrace that BT are not keeping users up to date and making sure we are able to access BT Email online, via bt.com

When you click on Email button top right on bt.com as you see the loading every shows that is is going to Email, until the final link which is  ?wm52????

Mine is back working again 14:10     20/04/2019

0 Ratings
Mike_H025
Message 33 of 91

Go to solution

Suddenly got this problem, first noticed at 15:15 20/04/2019. How was it fixed? Am using BT email in Firefox on Windows 10. Clicking 'Email' next to 'My BT' doesn't work. This is very serious as it's my main email address for everything!

I've already had to change all my email addresses from when Outlook wasn't working properly so I don't want to have to do it all again! But I WILL if not fixed soon. Exceedingly peed off

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 34 of 91

Go to solution

@Whiskers wrote:

@ey7777wrote:

"My email is back and updated to a new interface, which I do not care for, but at least I can now get on with my work again.

I'd like to comment on the above question. On a different thread, I've been talking about problems I have using mail clients with my BT email address. In the course of discussing it with BT support, I have been told twice the following: "Bt only guarantees email via webmail - we do not advise using a client." I responded to that telling them I was very shocked to hear that - but they said it was only ever designed to be used via webmail. I did ask them to show me where in their terms and conditions or any of their marketing material they inform the customer of this. They have yet to respond to that request.

I have been using BT Mail since being transferred over from BTYahoo mail for over 15 years without a dedicated email Client of any sort on various operating systems and at least 7 different computers, never any problems apart from the occasional broadband outage, and now this self inflicted c0ck up by BT.

It really stinks.

Makes me want to change provider.

Using a browser is easier when you are using 5 operating systems at the current time, gives me access from whatever machine I am using.

So does an email client set up to use the IMAP protocol.

It replicates what is on the BT servers and synchronises with each device that the email client/app is set up on. You can still use webmail if you are using a device that is not your own such as a works computer and any emails that you send or delete will be shown on your own devices.

Amongst their advantages is are there are no adverts and that BT can not change the look of it.

If you use a mobile device you are probably already using an email client but they call it an app.

0 Ratings
allanraymond
Aspiring Expert
Message 35 of 91

Go to solution

I  use an email client but at present it has gone belly up because of problems at BT end which means I can't send or receive emails using the client, this is a well known issue coveered in detail on another thread.     I have had to revert to one of my browsers to access my emails until such time as the issue clears itself.  So it really isn't appropriate to keep briging up that we shouldn be using browsers to access our emails whilst we are thwrated sometimes due to the intermittent problems in accessing via a client.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 36 of 91

Go to solution

@allanraymond wrote:

I  use an email client but at present it has gone belly up because of problems at BT end which means I can't send or receive emails using the client, this is a well known issue coveered in detail on another thread.     I have had to revert to one of my browsers to access my emails until such time as the issue clears itself.  So it really isn't appropriate to keep briging up that we shouldn be using browsers to access our emails whilst we are thwrated sometimes due to the intermittent problems in accessing via a client.

It is a well known issue that given there are over seven million BT users generally only affects a small number of the users who are in the main on the BTYahoo email system, which I believe you are on from your previous posts, so it really is appropriate to keep bringing it up that an email client is different and better way to access your email. 

This is even more appropriate when you consider that the new user interface (UI) that is being complained about is on the BTMail system and not the BTYahoo system.

It should be noted that nobody has said you should not be using browsers to access your email . All that has been said is that there are many advantages to using an email client not least of which given the complaints about the "new" webpage is that BT can not change its UI.

0 Ratings
Whiskers
Contributor
Message 37 of 91

Go to solution

@gg30340wrote:

@allanraymondwrote:

It is a well known issue that given there are over seven million BT users generally only affects a small number of the users who are in the main on the BTYahoo email system, which I believe you are on from your previous posts, so it really is appropriate to keep bringing it up that an email client is different and better way to access your email. 

This is even more appropriate when you consider that the new user interface (UI) that is being complained about is on the BTMail system and not the BTYahoo system.

It should be noted that nobody has said you should not be using browsers to access your email . All that has been said is that there are many advantages to using an email client not least of which given the complaints about the "new" webpage is that BT can not change its UI.

Just to stick my two pence worth in.

How come I was able to acess the "New Super Slick Email" and the old email at the same time? Both pages open on different tabs at the same time, so both working concurrently.

Log on to the Old through My BT and log on to the new throught the sign in on

https://home.bt.com/

Both were and are working at the same time, and other email addresses that I use on BT are stilll on the Old Client.

There is nothing stopping BT from giving us a choice of Client apart from BT being Bloody minded about this. IMHO

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 38 of 91

Go to solution

If by "Client" you mean the look of the web page, this is on webmail and the look is known as the User Interface or UI. An "email client" is a programme or App that the user installs on their device to allow them to access their email without having to log on and use a webpage.

I have no idea why you would be able to acces both UI on the same email address at the same time.

BT are changing over the email addresses  in batches. It would appear that only one of your email addresses has so far been moved.  I am in a similar position. There is no choice of which UI you can choose because all the email addresses will eventually be moved over. It just so happens that all of yours so far have not been.

0 Ratings
Elizabeth11
Aspiring Contributor
Message 39 of 91

Go to solution
I have one email address but have had two tabs with different UIs on the go for some time. One version allows me to search ( the more old fashioned, but still not quite as the original one) and the other doesn't.
BUT, I can't see the address box when using that one, as it hides it under the top bar, and also doesn't find the contact for me, so almost impossible to send an email unless its a straight reply.No forwarding is possible either, as you can't see what you're typing. I'm on a tablet and it's been fine until all this trouble and strife.
0 Ratings
Elizabeth11
Aspiring Contributor
Message 40 of 91

Go to solution
Incidentally, I've just checked and they both have exactly the same address at the top, and I'm using both today. Have been doing this for weeks, but some days one will disappear and then come back later.
https://ux.btmail.bt.com/cp/index-rui.jsp?v=1.3.16#app/mail
Is what it says at the top.
0 Ratings