Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 51 of 91

Re: what have you done to my email?

Go to solution

@PeterE17 wrote:

ps I worked in IT for 30 years on IBM mainframes and Unix systems and have absoutely no idea what the parrots mean by "mail client".  

As somebody who worked in IT for 30 years on IBM mainframe and Unix systems I would have thought you would have known how to use an Internet search such as google to enlighten your self but as that appears to be too difficult for you it was more than likely what you sent emails on 30 years ago when people used email programs such as Outlook Express and similar programs all of which are email clients.  

0 Ratings
piglet22
Aspiring Expert
Message 52 of 91

Go to solution

BT Yahoo was exactly what I was referring to and Yahoo suffered one of the biggest hacks on record. BT were tied up with Yahoo and dropped them shortly after the hack . In my book, Yahoo hack, BT Yahoo equals insecure

0 Ratings
piglet22
Aspiring Expert
Message 53 of 91

Go to solution

You still don't get it.

Parrot is offensive.

30 years with IBM Unix is totally irrelevant to today's users. The world has moved on, client is an accepted term.

Not everyone has or wants an IBM mainframe.

Dodo comes to mind.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 54 of 91

Go to solution

@piglet22 wrote:

BT Yahoo was exactly what I was referring to and Yahoo suffered one of the biggest hacks on record. BT were tied up with Yahoo and dropped them shortly after the hack . In my book, Yahoo hack, BT Yahoo equals insecure

In the thread you said BTMail not the BTYahoo email system. They are two different systems administered by two totally separate companies.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 55 of 91

Go to solution

@piglet22wrote:

BT have not dropped Yahoo. They started migration to BTMail in march 2014, then it was stopped in September 2014.

Whether the move was due to the hack in August 2013 is unclear as Yahoo didn't admit to the issyr until years later. Perhaps it was known "internally" ... 

0 Ratings
piglet22
Aspiring Expert
Message 56 of 91

Go to solution

When I signed up with BT as my ISP, BT-Yahoo was the mail provider.

I'm still with BT as ISP, now it's BT  Mail. Can't see what your point is. BT is the common factor.

As a day-to-day user, I read this as BT not having a ready-made email service, so uses Yahoo's. Yahoo turns out to be a leaky lemon. BT drops them. I've seen at first hand the real distress this change has caused. To experienced users you might wonder what the fuss is - to occasional users, it's a disaster. All BT had to do was announce that they were going to change things. It's not Windows Insider Programme.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 57 of 91

Go to solution

@piglet22wrote:

BT have not dropped Yahoo. They started migration to BTMail in march 2014, then it was stopped in September 2014.

Whether the move was due to the hack in August 2013 is unclear as Yahoo didn't admit to the issue until years later. Perhaps it was known "internally" ... 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 58 of 91

Go to solution

@piglet22 wrote:

When I signed up with BT as my ISP, BT-Yahoo was the mail provider.

I'm still with BT as ISP, now it's BT  Mail. Can't see what your point is. BT is the common factor. The point is that BTYahoo and BTMail are two different email systems and are not interconnected. BTYahoo was hacked or rather Yahoo was hacked. It has never been confirmed if the BTYahoo accounts were part of that hack. BTMail has never been hacked other than possibly some individual email accounts and possibly because of the user and not the BTMail system. Because of that your statement about BTMail having a history of being insecure is not correct.

As a day-to-day user, I read this as BT not having a ready-made email service, so uses Yahoo's. That is correct for some users but not all. Yahoo turns out to be a leaky lemon. BT drops them.  BT have not fully dropped Yahoo, that is why there are still users on BTYahoo. BT have another email system which is BTMail and some users were migrated to that and any new users to BT are put on that system and not BTYahoo. I've seen at first hand the real distress this change has caused. To experienced users you might wonder what the fuss is - to occasional users, it's a disaster. All BT had to do was announce that they were going to change things. It's not Windows Insider Programme.

0 Ratings
Whiskers
Contributor
Message 59 of 91

Go to solution

@Andy_Nwrote:

@piglet22wrote:

Whether the move was due to the hack in August 2013 is unclear as Yahoo didn't admit to the issue until years later. Perhaps it was known "internally" ... 

It was known "internally", I had someone phone me saying that they were from BT, they quoted me my account number and tried to get control of my laptop with screen sharing software that was not Citrix that BT usually use. 

I had been having problems at the time with the router, coincidence I suppose.

Teamviewer was the screen viewing software I believe, luckily it did not work and I closed it. On phoning BT about it checking that it was BT that was calling me the help guy admitted that they had lost data. At that time never publicly announced and lots of people had their PC's attacked with ransom ware.

0 Ratings
jaybs1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 60 of 91

Go to solution

Bank Holiday Monday, tried earlier to sign in to my BT EMAIL, no success just the same takes you in the end to a BT Broadband offer page. Just tried 11.30am and Wow! I went a step forward signed in, it took me to a page telling me how many email accounts I have! but when I pressed on Go to Favourite Email Box, it tried! but in the end it returned to the BT Broadband offer!

Is this a good sign? may be it be fixed today, no one knows?

Amazing how these questions are not getting answered! but going on about outlook and google lol

0 Ratings