Beginner
tobes325

Getting a DS online via BT Hub

Hello,

I am currently trying to connect my DS online and it can find the connection through wi-fi but then if i try to connect it says it can't.....I just wondered is there any way around this? Does any1 know if it has the capability of connecting through AOSS? 

Distinguished Guru
DS

Re: Getting a DS online via BT Hub

Hi tobes325 and welcome

As per your subject heading - a DS(me:smileywink:) gets online just fine via the BT Hub!!

The Nintendo DS will only connect to a Hub that has WEP security:smileyindifferent: (or no security:smileysad: - not advisable). The BT Home Hub 2.0 is set (by default) to WPA & WPA2 security, so you'll need to change it.

If you're not sure how, let me know

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
Beginner
tobes325

Well yeah it can identify the access point but it just wont let me connect to it, if i do it manually as well then I have typed in the WEP key and you then need a SSID which I also typed in but it comes up with the same message.....please help? :smileyfrustrated: lol

Distinguished Guru
DS

And you've entered the hub manager (either by typing 192.168.1.254 or bthomehub.home)?

And changed the encryption to WEP or none?

You may be getting confused here... the key is not the same as the encryption

You need to change it to either of the highlighted settings as below (though WEP would be better, yet easily hacked). note NOT as per mine = WPA2

WEP.JPG

Beginner
tobes325

I have entered the bthomehub.home although its slightly different on mine lol.

I have definitely entered the WEP key because its written on a little card we got with the hub, I looked at the settings and the security is set to 'WPA2 Personal' but I didn't look at it through the same way that its showing on ur print screen bit lol. What am I doing wrong?

Distinguished Guru
DS

Right, you're still not changing the WPA2 to WEP:smileywink:

This should sort that bit out...

Go back into the hub manager (bthomehub.home)

The easiest way is to click on A-Z (top right)

Then scroll down to Wireless connections enable, disable

You will probably be asked to type the hub admin password in

From the next screen, select security

From this screen, select WEP and click apply

Does the DS connect now?

(I do hope so:smileyvery-happy:)

Beginner
tobes325

Okay well I still dont know how to get to that screen? Where is it? lol. Sorry if I'm being a bit dense!

I have a mac btw and I went into the network settings and changed it to 'WEP password' is that the same?

Distinguished Guru
DS

I now assume it's not a v2 or v3 hub (the black curvy one or the brand new one):smileyvery-happy:

PC or MAC = the same method via the hub manager:smileywink:

Read the following for all the hubs BT supply....

To change your Hub's wireless key to WEP:

BT Home Hub 1.0 & 1.5
   1. Open your web browser and browse to http://bthomehub.home to open the Hub Manager.
   2. Click the Basic Config menu option.
   3. You will be asked to enter your username (Admin) and password.
   4. Click on the Wireless menu option.
   5. Click Use WEP Encryption on the Encryption option.
   6. Select 64 bit in the list.
   7. Set a wireless key for the network. The key will need to be 10 characters long and use a combination of the lower case letters a-f and numbers 0-9. You should enter a strong key - something that's easy for you to remember but hard for others to guess - and keep a note of it somewhere safe. You'll need this new key to reconnect your wireless devices to the Home Hub once the change is complete.
   8. Click the Apply button at the bottom of the page.

BT Home Hub 2.0
   1. Open your web browser and browse to http://bthomehub.home to open the Hub Manager.
   2. Click the Settings tab.
   3. You will be asked to enter your password.
   4. Click on Wireless.
   5. Click Use WEP on the Encryption option.
   6. Select 64 bit in the list.
   7. Set a wireless key for the network. The key will need to be 10 characters long and use a combination of the lower case letters a-f and numbers 0-9. You should enter a strong key - something that's easy for you to remember but hard for others to guess - and keep a note of it somewhere safe. You'll need this new key to reconnect your wireless devices to the Home Hub once the change is complete.

BT Home Hub 3
   2. Click the Settings tab.
   3. You will be asked to enter your password.
   4. Click on Wireless.
   5. Click WEP (64/40 bits) on the Security option.
   6. Click Apply/Continue to confirm that WPS will be disabled
   7. Set a wireless key for the network. The key will need to be 10 characters long and use a combination of the letters a-f/A-F and numbers 0-9. You should enter a strong key - something that's easy for you to remember but hard for others to guess - and keep a note of it somewhere safe. You'll need this new key to reconnect your wireless devices to the Home Hub once the change is complete.

After changing, read the following links as there are some things you can do to improve your online security. This includes regularly changing your wireless key to reduce the risk of hacking...:smileysad:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11061

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14110

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11383

(Now I really hope/wish/pray that the above sorts it:smileytongue:)

Beginner
tobes325

Right okay I will try that thank you, the password keeps saying its wrong though even though it isn't.....this is proving to be very difficult! lol. Thank you for your help and I'll let you know if it works, one more question though.....if i reset the home hub will that affect anything? Cos I need to reset the password i think and thats the only way I can do it?

Distinguished Guru
DS

[ Edited ]

Resetting the hub will remove any device history...

And any manually configured settings..

Also any hub phone contacts (by default they are stored to the hub, not the phone).

IIRC you can select shared on the phone and it should retain any contacts.

One final point, I'm sure there is something about the WEP key/password that the DS doesn't like

(something about the key length - google should help)

edit. Make sure you are deleting the connection attempts on the DS...