I'm just finding out we can't dial out at all. After only one or two numbers the "not recognised" message kicks in. We use the phone so seldom, I don't know how long we might have had this problem. We just plugged in the new Hub 2 last weekend - don't know if this could be related.
Hi @danielle1 welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. Sorry that you can't make calls out at present. Did you manage to speak with the faults department to get the fault reported? You may have to use the 0800 800 151 number from a mobile.
Hi, many thanks for asking. No, I thought I'd first try the online fault tracking. Didn't work, they couldn't find a fault and tried to pin it on faulty filters (they're both new, so that was a load of flannel).
Trouble is, we don't have a mobile!! And will not. So this will mean going to someone else's house or borrowing one.
Anyway, we're sure this happened yesterday, which was our "switch-over day". They well and truly switched us over, didn't they.
I'll follow up when I can get it sorted. Thanks again.
Its possible that the circuit details were incorrectly recorded on the Openreach records, so that when the changeover was made, you were connected to the wrong cable pair.
This will need to be physically checked by Openreach, and the record corrected. It may require someone to visit, and temporarily connect a unit which sends a tone back toward the cabinet, so your line can be identified and corrected.
At a guess, I would say you have been connected to a spare (stopped) number, which is why you can get dial tone, but cannot dial out.
In theory, this should not happen, but if the routing had been changed in the past, and the records had not been updated by the Openreach Field Technician, then problems like this will arise.
Keith_Beddoe, many thanks for this useful info, as I'm just about to go out to someone else's house to call 151.
I had someone else try to call this number, and they got about 30 seconds of ringing, then voice mail. (Of course it didn't ring here.)
Finally got through to BT on 151 (after 75 minutes on hold). They'll send an engineer out to look at/fix it. She said they didn't have to come to the house, though, and we'll get a message when it's fixed. At the moment it's looking like July 1. However, the up side is that broadband is not affected, as far as we can tell - which is good as we need it to WORK from!
I see that I have hijacked my own topic, so mods feel free to re-title this, or put it on another board, or whatever you want to do so more people can find the right info.
All sorted. The engineer was here and worked in the cabinet down the street, then called here. The 17070 now works as it should. He did give a longer explanation, but what I remember is that something "had been put on the wrong side".
BTW someone called "our" number yesterday and the person who answered said she'd had five calls for us! I've just checked our account and I don't see any phone calls we didn't make.
Many thanks again for all your help in diagnosing and explaining the problem in the first place.