cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LesterC
Beginner
Message 1 of 18

Activation of pre-existing phone line socket

I have 3 phone line sockets in my flat, but only one of them is actually active. It didn't used to be an issue until recently as we are expecting a baby and the room we plan to use as the baby room is where the active socket is. We would rather not have the Wifi router which will be on 24/7 sitting next to the baby. How should I go by requesting the phone line to be switched to one of the other rooms? TIA

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Activation of pre-existing phone line socket

@LesterC 

Who provides your phone and broadband service?

0 Ratings
LesterC
Beginner
Message 3 of 18

currently BT

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

@LesterC wrote:

currently BT

Internal extension wiring is the responsibility of the customer, so if you wanted to use the extension, you would need to make sure its connected to the master phone socket.

What does your master phone socket look like?

Keith_Beddoe_0-1577035081757.jpeg

Keith_Beddoe_1-1577035100602.jpeg

0 Ratings
LesterC
Beginner
Message 5 of 18

The one that is currently active kinda looks like 1/2 (they're very similar to me)

I have another socket in the lounge installed already which doesn't look like any of the ones you listed, it has the phone line socket along side with the TV cable socket.

I think I understand what you said there about internal wiring being my responsibility, but what I am trying to explore is to get the activate the inactive socket that is already in the lounge (presumably been there since the my place was built as this is only a 12 year old building)

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

@LesterC wrote:

The one that is currently active kinda looks like 1/2 (they're very similar to me)

I have another socket in the lounge installed already which doesn't look like any of the ones you listed, it has the phone line socket along side with the TV cable socket.

That is very unlikely to have anything to do with any existing phone wiring, it may not even be connected to anything.

As for the master socket, which I assume is where your bt home hub is plugged into, the difference between 1 and 2 pictures, is that number 1 has screws to hold the cover on, and number 2 just clips on. I suspect its no 1.

If that extension socket  was connected to the master socket, then if you removed the bottom part of the master socket, then the extension wiring would be connected to the back of that section, as shown below.

Extension wiringExtension wiring

If there is nothing connected there, then your extension socket is not wired up, and you would either have to buy a DIY phone extension kit, or find someone local to do it, which would not be possible during the current crisis,

Why do you need to move the home hub, as the wireless signal should easily cover the inside of a flat?

0 Ratings
LesterC
Beginner
Message 7 of 18

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

Why do you need to move the home hub, as the wireless signal should easily cover the inside of a flat?

@LesterCwrote:

It didn't used to be an issue until recently as we are expecting a baby and the room we plan to use as the baby room is where the active socket is. We would rather not have the Wifi router which will be on 24/7 sitting next to the baby. 

that's really the purpose of this exercise

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

That is very unlikely to have anything to do with any existing phone wiring, it may not even be connected to anything.

As for the master socket, which I assume is where your bt home hub is plugged into, the difference between 1 and 2 pictures, is that number 1 has screws to hold the cover on, and number 2 just clips on. I suspect its no 1.

If that extension socket  was connected to the master socket, then if you removed the bottom part of the master socket, then the extension wiring would be connected to the back of that section, as shown below.

Extension wiringExtension wiring

If there is nothing connected there, then your extension socket is not wired up, and you would either have to buy a DIY phone extension kit, or find someone local to do it, which would not be possible during the current crisis,

I will have a look under both sockets later on.

0 Ratings
LesterC
Beginner
Message 8 of 18

Cant seem to post the pictures here, pls follow the links

Master socket:

https://ibb.co/KDpLq24

extension cables visible there

extension socket 1 (the one that I would want to use):

https://ibb.co/dGwz0NW

https://ibb.co/2yL3MVB

as you can see is all connected up, but no broadband/landline connection through the socket

And out of curiosity opened up the other extension socket:

https://ibb.co/wzSP5RM

looks much the same underneath, connected up the wifi router and it actually works.. but this room is right at the end of the apartment, not the ideal place for the router to be

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

Posting images within thread makes like easier this should help. https://community.bt.com/t5/help/faqpage/faq-category-id/images/title/images2

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
LesterC
Beginner
Message 10 of 18

Thanks for your suggestion, but the image files are too large to be uploaded with the method
0 Ratings