cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 26

Alternatives to BT Digital Voice retaining original telephone number?

Hi there,

Excitedly awaiting installation of Full Fibre 900 although BT have already pushed back two installation appointments I am left wondering what my telephony options might be?

I initially ordered Digital Voice as part of the package but further investigation has revealed I would have to leave the Smart Hub connected and I really need my own DrayTek router connected for many reasons.

I currently have two lines (used to be three) coming into the house on a single copper cable but suspect this may be removed and I only see reference to one number on DV although to be honest I don't use the phone enough to warrant both lines any more so could drop the second at a push.

I also have a PABX which I was hoping to retain but it looks with their planned removal of copper and their (highly optimistic) plan to shut down PSTN by 2025 its lifetime would be limited anyway so I suppose I would be forced to remove that in the near future in any case.

The alarm which I mistakenly thought was connected through POTS is in fact monitored over Broadband so that's not a consideration any more.

The original line however has the 50+ year old number which I would want to retain and was going to be ported across to DV but what would happen if I cancelled my order for DV?

Could I retain the number and use it for an alternative VoIP telephony service? If so how would this work?

I have emailed DrayTek and asked what my options might be for VoIP as I remember some years ago they used to promote DrayTel but I see that has been sold to Telappliant Red so not sure what the current status of that might be these days.

The last couple of DrayTek routers have been the V models with RJ11 telephone sockets on the front but looking at the current 2866/2927 models this seems to be lacking.

Anyone else been down this road with using 3rd party VoIPin place of DV on a DrayTek router?

I have glanced through the 22 page related thread and intend to read it fully but at my age I find I usually get more confused after ploughing through multipage threads so was looking for inspiration here first! 

Thanks & kind regards,

-=Glyn=-

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26

Re: Alternatives to BT Digital Voice retaining original telephone number?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 26

I suspect if you cancelled your DV order, your phone number would be ceased, and lost forever.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 26

using bt DV does not effect the Broadband at all

and VoIP telephony service is the same service as DV its the most providers go by now via there routers Virgin media is the same going DV via there routers bt just called it DV its shorten from VoIP telephony service
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 26

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

I suspect if you cancelled your DV order, your phone number would be ceased, and lost forever.

Yeah I suspected as much. Thanks for confirming Keith.

I've just ploughed through those 22 pages on the other thread and it doesn't look good for me.

If I want DV...which I do...I have to have the SH2 connected.

I can disable most options in there but don't see any concrete statements about disabling DNS in the SH2 as I use Pi-hole.

I also use VPN connections handled by my own router and many other tricks also.

All for the sake of a proper Bridge Mode on the SH2, a dedicated BT-DV adaptor or better still just an RJ11 socket on the ONT itself. BT could still hang on to their proprietary DV protocol without opening anything up if any of these were options. Oh well I won't be holding my breath...

It could save them a few bob in not having to ship the SH2 with every order. With the arrival of the SH2 this morning that makes half-a-dozen BT Home Hubs of one variety or another still sealed in their boxes in the loft! 😉

Did I see that BT Business service offer hardware that allows you to properly use Bridge Mode?

That might be an option...if only the Business checker realised that UltraFast was available here! When I check my address it only lists SuperFast as an option. 🙄

I'm just started using the free DDNS feature of my router and reconfiguring remote access apps in readiness for losing my static IP address provided by PlusNet on the other VDSL line when Full Fibre is installed and I have to say they've come a long way from when I first looked at DDNS services.

I feel like BT are holding me to ransom over my 50+ year old telephone number though...<sigh>

Thanks & kind regards,

-=Glyn=-

Message 6 of 26

@DaveJWalkerwrote:

and VoIP telephony service is the same service as DV its the most providers go by now via there routers Virgin media is the same going DV via there routers bt just called it DV its shorten from VoIP telephony service

Thanks for taking the time to reply Dave but although I already understand that DV does not affect broadband I've read your reply multiple times it makes no sense to me I'm afraid! 🤔

Thanks & kind regards,

-=Glyn=-

Message 7 of 26

@GlynH wrote:

@DaveJWalkerwrote:

Thanks for taking the time to reply Dave but although I already understand that DV does not affect broadband I've read your reply multiple times it makes no sense to me I'm afraid! 🤔

Thanks & kind regards,

-=Glyn=-

Glad its not just me!

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 26

@GlynH wrote:

I can disable most options in there but don't see any concrete statements about disabling DNS in the SH2 as I use Pi-hole.

All for the sake of a proper Bridge Mode on the SH2, a dedicated BT-DV adaptor or better still just an RJ11 socket on the ONT itself. BT could still hang on to their proprietary DV protocol without opening anything up if any of these were options.

Did I see that BT Business service offer hardware that allows you to properly use Bridge Mode?

Everybody seems to think that bridge mode on the SH2 will solve all their problems, it won't. In bridge mode the IP layer is simply passed through ergo no access to any VOIP solutions. The same with the ONT, it is just a modem, no access to the IP layer.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 26

easy way to put it VoIP is DV its bt way to easy to say it why don't you get it its the same way to get it basely Virgin media used it for over a year on there new installed and upgrades
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 26

i am with both bt and Virgin media thats how i get my info
0 Ratings