cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

BT 2025 PSTN Switch Off

With the recent announcement that BT ar aiming to turn of the conventional PSTN (copper) phone service by 2025, I got to thinking about the potential upside to broadband speeds.

For those of us in small communities with no sign of Ultrafast Broadband on the horizon I wondered what the implication of no longer requiring a copper phone line really was.

For years we've lived with ADSL/VDSL microfilters and interstitial faceplates to filter the legacy voice frequency (that used by legacy phone/faxes/modems). As the modem/codec functionality moves to the BT router, it occurs to me that we will no longer need to filter out the bottom few K of the spectrum that has previously been reserved for legacy.

Assuming that this results in the full spectrum becoming available to Broadband, does anyone have a view on what kind of speed uplift that may result to those of us trapped on FTTC without g.fast, or if this has even been considered by BT/others?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: BT 2025 PSTN Switch Off

I think it’s 2027.

--
If I have helped you in anyway please press the Kudo button (thumbs up)
If I have resolved your post please click 'Mark as Accepted Solution'
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

Thanks for your reply,  I've only seen 2025 in the news, but I'm more interested in the technical aspects of this as it seems to negate some long held ANFP burdens.

Regards

D

Message 4 of 15

Hi,

I've only seen 2027 and thought it was worth putting.

I realised this wasn't the response you were looking for, and I meant to put this but forgot.

The only thing I think I could contribute; is that I am hoping huge steps will be made in 4/5G by then, to provide broadband to rural communities. Including faster speeds, lower costs with unlimited usage.

Thanks

--
If I have helped you in anyway please press the Kudo button (thumbs up)
If I have resolved your post please click 'Mark as Accepted Solution'
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

I wonder how BT is going to handle the PR when the public realise that all their landline phones and any extension wiring will need to be replaced.   I also wonder about what help will be provided for old people like my 90 year old Mother-in-law whose  only means of communication is her landline. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

@nickwaller41 

there is no need to replace existing tone/pulse dial phone as they can connect either to the hub or dect adapter provider by BT.  There is also no need to replace the existing extension wiring but you need to make an adjustment to master socket wiring - already covered in other forum posts

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

As far as I know there will still be millions  of premises connected via copper cabling in 2025.  My guess is that you'll see no improvement.  The switch to VOIP will presumably also impose extra load on the network. 

I think the main impact of switching off the PSTN will be in telephone exchanges where they can further reduce the space needed for equipment and then sell off or rent out the buildings.  I guess that also means less maintenance and therefore less people.  

There are lots of pros (and a few cons) arising from the PSTN switch off but getting rid of the constaints of copper wiring is going to take a lot longer. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

@nickwaller41 

The BT exchange equipment, circa 1980s, is well beyond its useful life, and spares are difficult to obtain. Also full number portability is not possible, owing to its architecture.

A single VOIP circuit uses 64Kbs, so is not likely to have any impact on ADSL, in fact, the old BT Broadband Talk service worked well, and had no effect on my ADSL connection.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

Thanks for the reply - can you point me to the post that shows how to connect a wired phone to my  Hub ? Doesn't solve my M-I-L's problem though as she doesnt have a broadband connection.   I hardly use my landline at all so I will probably stop using it entirely. I wonder if BT will reduce their prices accordingly ?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

Hi @nickwaller41 all the info on how to set up Digital voice can be found on this link. I hope that helps?

Thanks

Neil