cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

BT Advanced Digital Home Phone - annoying beeps during calls

My mother has had DV installed and BT sent two of the advanced digital phones for her to use. These have duly been installed, hooked up to the smart hub and are now in use. The major issue is that during phonecalls, the phones will periodically beep twice. There is no pattern or consistency to the double beeps but they are very invasive and can break up speech for both my mother and the caller.  We have managed to spot that whilst the phone is beeping a 'searching for network' message appears on the screen which makes little sense - the house is a small, modern, three bedroom house and the phone is never a great distance from the hub.

Has anybody experienced this? Or have any idea what we can do about it? My mother is 82 and fairly invalided - the phone is her life line. Thank you all.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT Advanced Digital Home Phone - annoying beeps during calls

@Nicky6 

Which phone did she use before BT Digital Voice as she should be able to continue using that?

There is no need to use the phones supplied by BT.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Does the beeping happen on both phone or only 1 particular phone?

Have you fully charged the phones before use?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Thank you for the reply.

She used her original phone for a few days after they installed DV and the new router but the quality of the line was appalling.  I can't remember what the phone was but it had big dials etc and she liked using it.  The problem was the quality of the line. I see there is an adaptor that can be used to continue using old phones - is it worth buying that and reinstalling the old phone?

I just don't understand why we are getting this beeping sound, it isn't the battery - it occurs on both phones and they spend most of their life in their cradles.

Thank you again.

Nicky

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, it is both phones and they are fully charged - they spend most of their lives in their cradles.

I just don't understand it.

With best wishes

Nicky

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

@Nicky6 

Did she plug her original phone into the phone socket on the back of the Smart Hub 2?

The same phone can be plugged into a Digital Voice Adapter available from BT, however if its a really old phone, then its not likely to work as well as a modern wired phone. I assume it was a wired phone and not a DECT phone system?

If she is happy just to use a fixed wired phone, then there are plenty available.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

I'm afraid that we are still having issues with the DV service and beeping on the phone. I installed a Digital Voice Adaptor in to the 'downstairs' phone and attached her old phone to it. It worked fine for about a day and then resorted to the beeps.  The upstairs phone is still the BT supplied new phone - should I replace that one too with the old version and install a second Voice Adaptor to connect it to the service?  Although I don't see how that would help anything.

Mum does have a personal alarm system in place should she fall when we're not there and that is plugged directly in to the router/hub - could that be causing the problems? If so, what is the answer? We can't take it out - it is absolutely critical to have it when we're not there. 

All suggestions/ help welcome - we are desperate and Mum getting to the point she won't answer the phone to us.

Thank you.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

@Nicky6 

It could be the 1571 service indicating a missed call. Try dialling 1571 and see if any messages have been left.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

I had this very loud beep once on one of my DV telephones it was so loud the caller asked what it was. It came from the handset and not the earpiece.

Not battery related and never happend again.

I have 1571 turned off.

0 Ratings