cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mcintyro
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

BT Call Protect Phones - Not admitting any calls

Frustrated as can be with BT customer service (again).  Ordered a new phone service in December 2017 and purchased a quad back of BT Call Protect 8600 cordless phones.  I already have these phones working on my parent's line which is a property connected to the same exchange as my own home that received the new service.

All incoming calls are blocked; the whitelist is ignored and I suspect that caller-id is not being passed on my line.  I have made 4 calls to BT customer service over this issue and each time I have been assured the service has been removed and readded but nobody ever follows up to validate the solution.  

It is still not working and I cannot get BT to do anything about this!  They sent an openreach engineer on call #1 who didn't understand why he had been despatched for a line fault when everything was working.  Ironically, he told me he was having the exact same issue at his home with the call protect hardware!

Call #2 they activated caller protect on the line as a software service - not required as I am using the call protect BT phones.  Call #3 seemed to go better and they acknowledged a likely fault with caller ID on the line.  They claimed they would remove it and re-add and in 24hrs all would be operational.  It wasn't!

Call #4 I asked for this to be escalated - nobody ever called me back.

I am at my wits end with BT - this is a simple request, I invested in their hardware and service and it simply doesn't work - can the mods investigate please?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
pompey1898
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT Call Protect Phones - Not admitting any calls

Sorry if I have misunderstood your post but you seem to me to be confusing BT Call Protect, a free service offerd to BT customers, and the call barring facilities of a BT 8600 phone.  Which is it you are having a problem with ?

0 Ratings
mcintyro
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Thanks for your note. I think BT has had the same confusion! I’m having issues with the call protect phones and we believe that Caller ID is not being passed on the line and therefore the filtering on the phones is not working.

Every time I raise this BT assume it’s the exchange based call protect feature and turn it on my line where as all I need is caller ID sorted.

Ross
0 Ratings
Zombie
Expert
Message 4 of 9

Hi @mcintyro they are phones with Call Guardian built in not call protect. As @pompey1898 mentions they are a different things. Perhaps BT have been looking at call protect with the account and misunderstood your problem. 

Have you never had caller display active on the line? The number in the phones memory should always get through as you know, I’m just checking that you have saved the numbers with the area code as well. 

‘When someone calls and they are getting screened by call guardian even when the phone hasn’t rung into the home you should still see a missed call on the phones display, when you check the missed call list is it not showing the number of who called. If not it does sound like caller display is not active. 

Until caller display is active on the line and if you want to allow all calls through so family and friends are not messed about with call guardian, if you press the block button on the phone, enter the phones pin, select BT call guardian, then guardian settings then switch it to off and click save. The phones will operate as normal phones until caller display has been sorted. Then just turn call guardian back on. 

0 Ratings
mcintyro
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

I’ve never had CallerID even although I ordered it. My four calls to BT have failed in getting this issue solved.
0 Ratings
pompey1898
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 9

I think Caller ID is free with BT Privacy, viz :-

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8098/~/all-about-bt-privacy-at-home

@mcintyrowrote:
I’ve never had CallerID even although I ordered it. My four calls to BT have failed in getting this issue solved.

0 Ratings
mcintyro
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

That's right - I ordered it with my landline package - ticked the option back in December.  If only it was active or worked!

0 Ratings
Zombie
Expert
Message 8 of 9

Have you tried signing into into your BT account and seeing if it is active on the line? Or opting in yourself again? On your BT bill does it show BT privacy with caller display?

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 9

@mcintyro,

You might want to sign up for BT Call Protect while your at it ?

0 Ratings