cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

BT Call Protect set to block International Calls but still letting some overseas scammers through

Go to solution

Hi, I've recently set up Call Protect on my parent's landline, as they get so many time-wasting and scam calls.

It's set up to block BT's Blacklist and all Withheld and International calls.

However, this morning they received a call from +27 41 795 5984 which is a South African number, telling them about an alleged £600 fraudulent activity on their credit card (a well-known scam, which they recognised immediately and put the phone down).

How did this call get through?

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT Call Protect set to block International Calls but still letting some overseas scammers throug

Go to solution

BT Call protect is never going to be able to keep track of these spoofed numbers.

A call blocking phone like the BT4600, is a better option, as it will block 100% of those types of calls.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Re: BT Call Protect set to block International Calls but still letting some overseas scammers throug

Go to solution
Thanks Keith - did not realise it was a spoofed number. Will investigate the BT4600.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

@Abercrombie wrote:
Thanks Keith - did not realise it was a spoofed number. Will investigate the BT4600.

With the BT4600, only numbers stored in the phone can get through, all other callers either have to announce themselves first, or can be sent to answerphone.

Scam calls are automatically initiated, so once the phone takes the call and asks the user to identify themselves, the call disconnects without ringing.

The numbers still show up as missed calls, so you can try and identify who they are, just in case its someone you know, who did not want to identify themselves. You can then add their number to the phone`s directory, so they will get through next time.

I use the BT4600, and its stopped scam calls, and mis-dialled numbers that were close to numbers of nearby businesses, as they got the digits mixed up.