cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mike_Jones
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

BT Call protect VIP option removed

BT have improved the Call protect by removing the option to make callers VIP unless you now subscribe to 1471 to get back what was a free service to make certain callers VIP.       What a great improvement   NOT

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
pompey1898
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT Call protect VIP option removed

Hi @Mike_Jones ,

To the best of my recollection VIP was never free with Call Protect and it is 1571.

1471, is however free to get the number of the last caller.

bt call protect.JPG

0 Ratings
Mike_Jones
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

It was indeed free with Call protect, which was also free, and I have a list of VIP callers I set up while it was free.  However, now  I cannot add any more  VIP's unless I now pay the £3.50. I do not need that full service as I have an answering machine and call protect phones. After 40 odd years maybe I should review my  supplier

0 Ratings
garybs29
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 9

Sounds like you've been getting something as a bonus then because as far as I'm aware it's never been free

https://www.bt.com/landline/calling-features/?s_cid=con_FURL_callprotect&s_intcid=con_intban_dmedia_...

0 Ratings
Evolsidog1870
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Just discovered this myself.

Email from GP practice advising to make sure their number is not subject to any call blocking or may potentially miss out on COVID vaccination slot if unable to contact on landline (I have all calls blocked except my VIP list which was free as I BT advised to block all and add to VIP as my blacklist was full a while back), to find out that apparently this is now not free and I will have to pay for.  So essentially in order to receive a call and not miss out on COVID vaccination program i need to "upgrade" my package and pay for a service I had.  I wonder how many other customers of BT this will effect if they too are not aware that the service is now a chargeable one?

pompey1898
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 9

@Evolsidog1870 

See message 2

0 Ratings
Evolsidog1870
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Strange, I never paid for it. I have numbers in VIP and BT advisor confirmed used to be part of Call Protect but moved to BT Answer.

Not getting into a debate. Fact remains unless I pay £3.50 I can't add my GP to the service as all my calls are blocked bar those that previously set up on VIP which I can now no longer access. 

swatty
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

This was also my experience. I have had the VIP option with Call Protect for years until about a week ago when I found I had lost all my VIP numbers and the option to assign calls to VIP appeared as an 'upgrade'.  I had a long conversation with BT using the chat function and was told my Call Protect had been 're-set' and that the VIP facility would reappear. Needless to say it hasn't. Clearly it has now become part of a voicemail package and is no longer free.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

1471 (caller display), and 1572 (call Protect), were free over the past few years.

!571 (v.i.p. and "sleep")  was an option to be paid for.
You can check in the itemised listing in your past BT Bills.
The list should show 1571 option, as an additional charge... i.e. an extra charge on your bill.
As stated:- Message 2 explains the situation.

0 Ratings