cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

BT Digital Voice - 2 different phone numbers - same SH2

Go to solution

Hi 

Had a quick search on the community & online, didnt find answer I wanted, so though the community was best.

• I have SH2 and Halo 3 (900) and DV with 1 phone number
  • Main house phone number is still analogue with a different phone number to above

When it comes time for the Main house phone to convert to DV is it possible to connect that phone with its number to the same SH2, basically two different phone numbers to one SH2?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: BT Digital Voice - 2 different phone numbers - same SH2

Go to solution

@DavidGP 

Are you sure your analogue phone still works, as it would normally be given a "stopped" line phone number when you are on DV?

You may find that you cannot dial any numbers on the analogue line.

Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

HI Keith

Thanks, yes the Main house phone still works analogue as not been switched to DV yet (no date on when)

My seperate line and phone number was switched October 2021 and is fully digial now as analogue socket is dead. 

We do have two seperate cables from the pole to the house.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

I did not realise you had two separate phone lines.

You would not be able to move the analogue line over to the DV connection, as only one phone number is currently supported. You would have to decide which one to keep, and it may not be possible to re-number the DV connection.

Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Hi Keith

Thats fine, when the main house phone gets converted over we can just plug in the supplied SH2 (as that line does not have internet, its just for phonecalls)

Thanks for your reply and advice.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

@DavidGP wrote:

Hi Keith

Thats fine, when the main house phone gets converted over we can just plug in the supplied SH2 (as that line does not have internet, its just for phonecalls)

Thanks for your reply and advice.

I suppose it may be an option in future to have two separate incoming numbers, as DV does support two connections. I seem to remember something similar on the old BT Broadband Talk service, so it could be a chargeable extra, who knows.

Its also possible that your analogue line will be converted to digital, and a separate ATA adapter provided. There lots of phone only customers, so there must be a solution in the pipeline.

Have you read this?

https://www.draytek.co.uk/information/blog/the-end-of-analogue-phone-lines-pt1

Page 2 talks about an ATA adapter.

Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoewrote:
There lots of phone only customers, so there must be a solution in the pipeline.

A couple of years back Openreach announced a new SLT (service Line Type) of 1 mbps for CP's to use for when the PSTN is switched off, my guess is line only customers would have that new SLT with a Smart Hub and connect the phone handsets to that.

If I find the link I'll come back with the source

Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks for the link, had a read and I agree there must be a solution in the pipline as many customers will only want phone only, and the SH2 seems a unessasary cost for that.  I know these days many have internet at home to make use of the digital service like Internet, TV etc 

Just wonder if BT are starting with Internet accounts with SH2 first before phone only customers.

The VoIP adapter sample in the link seems a good option and could be in BTs case similar size to the current DV Adapter, but not reliant on the SH2.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

@DavidGPwrote:

Just wonder if BT are starting with Internet accounts with SH2 first before phone only customers.

Looking at recent posts, new customers and renewals are migrating over, as are existing FTTP and FTTC customers.

I've not seen anyone mention being migrated when line only, although that will change as more and more exchanges stop accepting analogue line orders.
More info at Getting ready for digital phone lines 

There's also the ongoing chip shortage which may delay line only, if you want broadband you'd expect a hub, line only will also need one unless BT come up with a line only hub solution, BT invest a lot of money on R&D so it's possible, either way I think line only customers will be the last to migrate over ahead of the switch off.

Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Believe line only customers will start to be moved in late 2023