cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 27

BT Digital Voice Problems

Hi

Finally got around to setting up the digital voice phone, and just received a call from my sister.

If that is supposed to be digital or HD or whatever, then I have a problem. The call quality is abysmal! Calls are quiet even with the sound set to amplify. It sounds muffled, and there was also weird screeching noises when I picked it up. The quality of the call is worse than that of my old phone that was plugged in to the wall, and that is no exaggeration.

Has anyone else suffered this?

I've read so many reports of people saying "It's like you're talking to someone in the same room" That statement couldn't be farther from the truth for me.

26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27

Re: BT Digital Voice Problems

Are you using a new DV phone or your old phone connected to the socket on back of SH2?

Have you tried going to hub manager then select your phone number which should be blue then reset base.  You will have to re-pair your DV phone and see if that helps

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 27

@imjolly 

Hi 

It's one of those BT Alexa phones that connects via DECT.

I did a reset, and a reregister of the handset and got my sister to phone back.. No screeching this time, but call quality is still poor.

I had high expectations for this, but it is genuinely worse than the  using the old phone line, so I'm rather disappointed.

My sister also mentioned that she has tried phoning several times before, and she has had problems getting through.

Message 4 of 27

If a dect base reset helped then I would suggest a factory reset of the hub by pressing the recessed button on back and hold for 20/30 secs until light flash. When hub reboots remember to turn off smart setup in hub manager. You will also have to re-pair the phone again.

I have advanced Alexa phones and the call quality is excellent as has been reported by others on the forum

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 27

@imjolly 

I don't really want to reset my hub as I spent a lot of time setting up my network with port forwarding, pinholes, address table etc. I'd also have to manually configure some devices around the house, as they won't reconnect even if I get the hub settings back. That's too much hassle and stress that I don't need.

I also don't think it'll make a blind bit of difference - like the infamous "Have you tried turning it off & on" line.

I'll contact BT and see what they say. I'll probably end up cancelling the service to be honest, it's not really all its cracked up to be.

Thanks anyway.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 27

@TinaT wrote:

I also don't think it'll make a blind bit of difference - like the infamous "Have you tried turning it off & on" line.

In my experience, which is long in time if not in quality, turning stuff off then on again solves more problems than owt else.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Message 7 of 27

Have to agree, particularly with regard to the smart hub.

You can always backup the config and restore it afterwards, no guarantees that all will be restored correctly though.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 27

Hi @TinaT 

If your call is in HD then you'll see 'HD' on the display. As far as I know you only get  HD quality calls if you're on a call to another DV user or EE mobile.

When it is in HD it is very good in my experience.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 27

Hi @TinaT 

@Andy005  beat me to it, I was going to ask if your sister was using an HD (DV) phone. The audio will only be as good as the weakest component.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 27

I asked her about that.. she was on her mobile using VoLTE.

0 Ratings