cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 27

Re: BT Digital Voice Problems

@TinaTwrote:

I asked her about that.. she was on her mobile using VoLTE.

I'm sure that it won't be in HD unless her mobile is with EE/BT.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 27

@Andy005 

Wow - If that is true, that's shocking!

That's another reason for me to ditch DV then?! 

I'll be better off getting a mobile phone to act as my home phone. It's probably a good idea to be honest.. I was just reading an article about the storms that hit the UK last month.. thousands of people couldn't make calls for help on their DV phones because the internet was down. Sadly, that will probably get worse as more get moved over to it.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 27

I don't think it's shocking at all @TinaT , it's just a business providing a level of service to attract/benefit its customers. Similarly, a certain supermarket mobile provider doesn't offer wifi or 4G calling, you get what you pay for and make your choice.

I've also no doubt that some overhead phone lines would have also been taken out by the storms, so conventional landline users would have lost service. Some are focussing on the loss of power too much rather than the overall picture.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 27

@Andy005 

I think that is most definitely part of the bigger picture.

Unfortunately, the more I dig, the more negatives I find. I've already ran in to several with my set up.. There's a lot of things that BT don't make transparent with the DV service, or the info is hard to find.

Anyway, thanks for the info/help. I have several days cooling off from the DV service, so I'll contact BT on Monday and cancel it.

Many thanks.

Message 15 of 27

How is it shocking that a call from a poor source is poor when connected to a good source? The quality is only as good as the weakest link.

Have you experienced a call from/ to another DV customer?

Message 16 of 27

If you don't really want it, cancel it as soon as possible, you should be able to get a cheaper rate for your broadband by doing so. Though they will probably cancel and make you reorder. There are loads of much cheaper VoIP options out there to choose from.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 27

What's maybe "shocking" is the marketing:

It’s time to bring landlines into the digital age. Get ready to combine the convenience of your home phone with the clarity of HD, with Digital Voice. To experience HD quality calls and great new features, just plug in your new home phone (that we’ll send you for free) and you're ready to go.

No mention of limitations on the source of the call, obvious as that may be to some of us.

Message 18 of 27

@rbz5416 

Yep - That's 100% misleading and false advertising.

If people defend that, then they are just as bad.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 27

Like you, I recently received a new free VoIP BT digital phone with Alexa built-in, as part of an upgraded broadband package. I’m an electronics design engineer, I had high hopes for the new new digital phone. However, like you I was very disappointed. In theory the new VoIP should and probably does significantly increase the audio bandwidth, so from that point of view, the quality should be very much better.

I had successfully plugged our original old BT analogue phone into the back of the router and saw some improvement in the sound quality of incoming and out going speech. However, the analogue phone was designed to work with the old limited bandwidth, so I guess the phone may well have some built-in sound bandwidth filtering. This would potentially cutoff the bottom and top frequencies, so would effect the quality.

The new BT digital phone looks good, the screen and buttons are clear, so I thought it would be great. Unfortunately it was not. My wife said it was rubbish, I didn’t believe her straight away. Then I had a listen. The speech sounds are very distorted. In my technical opinion, the problem with the new BT digital phone is probably the shape and size of the sound cavity where the speaker is located. The result, resonances or reverberation occurs where the speech sounds bounce around inside this cavity. This causes the sound to be distorted and garbled. The louder the volume, the worst, the reverberation.

I almost bought a second BT digital phone, before the first free one arrived. I’m so glad I didn’t. It definitely doesn’t sound like HD quality device, in fact the sound quality is so poor with the one BT digital phone I have received, we have decided not to use it and instead rely upon the original BT analogue phone plugged into the back of the router.

Note to BT. In my opinion, it is an affront to claim HD sound quality in respect of this new BT digital phone, you should be ashamed of yourself. I’m very tempted to make a formal complaint to the advertising standards authority.  You should consider withdrawing this phone from the market or fix it.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 27

Hi @MarcusSixtyOne   That is interesting, as a senior with deteriorating hearing I found the HD phones (with Alexa) a vast improvement over my old BT Premium phones. When speaking to relatives, also with DV, they are crystal clear. Obviously speaking to people with old phones, you can expect the quality to match the least quality device in the loop. Perhaps you were unlucky to get a duff phone.