cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 21

Re: BT analogue phone service not recognised, etc.

Hi @Keith_Beddoe  thank you for reiterating Openreach's glib vision, their engineers tell me that this vision is not realistic. BT full fibre ISP requires power from house for it to work, the Ombudsman only "recommend" that full fibre ISP shall provide ONT modem with battery backup. 

Looks like its back to Virgin Media ISP, my installation is still good to go. I would still prefer to retain my BT analogue phone power from exchange, so that emergency services can be contacted during power failure. 

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 21

@crimsom 

Its your choice of course, but VM still requires mains power to work.

I see you already have FTTP anyway https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/Full-Fibre-Speed-Test/td-p/2191694

Its going to be expensive to pay for both.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 21

Hi @Keith_Beddoe  my OP says that Openreach installed FTTP a few days ago. Did not anticipate BT ignoring my No Digital Voice order.  There was no clarification during BT Sales order placement that my existing BT analogue phone contract would be terminated. 

Openreach have installed their Nokia ONT modem which does not have TEL 1: Digital telephone port, so installing ONT modem battery backup is pointless. 

Unable to contact emergency services during a power failure is not recommended. What price does one put on a family member that is dying, because the phone is not working?  

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 21

As others will tell you, the TEL 1 port (FVA) only existed on earlier FTTP installations. The phone socket on the SH2 is the replacement.

I have nothing more to add,

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 21

@crimsom wrote:

Digital Voice is just too expensive. When ordering, made it clear, no BT Digital Voice (retain analogue phone). Kind regards. 

Digital Voice costs are EXACTLY the same as analogue voice costs.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 21

Hi @Keith_Beddoe  Openreach currently provides two types of ONT modem.

Openreach engineer tells me that my housing estate gets the ONT modem without TEL 1 port. 

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 21

Hi @licquorice  FYI my BT Basic plan is £5.16 a month and many of the calls are free.  

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 21

Not when you re-contract. Choice is PAYG, 500/700 mins or unlimited minutes regardless of DV or Analogue.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 21

Hi @crimsom,

Thank you for posting. I think there is a bit of confusion around what package you have. 

What package do you currently have with BT? If you check your order confirmation, this will confirm the package details and whether or not digital voice was part of the package?

With the details, you have posted it sounds like you are on our Home Essentials Package? This would have replaced your BT Basic service. For more information on Home Essentials take a look here - Home Essentials 

Thanks,

Paddy

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 21

Not sure why you think the personal opinion of a couple of local openreach engineers is gospel. 

The PSTN switch off in 2025 will go ahead what ever they think, the move to an All IP network is going to happen. 

Copper will be around for a few years after whilst the fibre network is still being built. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.