cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

BT contract to discontinue for digital phone/broadband when 75% of a exchange can get Full Fibre?

In Openreach, 'Key points to know' about retiring the copper network  it says this:

"when 75% of the homes and businesses connected to a particular exchange can get Full Fibre you won't be able to buy our old copper products if Full Fibre is available at your premises, this includes Gfast, Superfast Fibre and Standard Broadband".

Can this really mean that BT would end my digital voice phone and broadband contract?

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/retiring-the-copper-network

Thanks!

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT contract to discontinue for digital phone/broadband when 75% of a exchange can get Full Fibre

From that announcement 

• If you're not able to get Ultrafast Full Fibre at your premises you won't be impacted, and will still be able to keep your existing copper product until it's available.
If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Re: BT contract to discontinue for digital phone/broadband when 75% of a exchange can get Full Fibre

@lucinda1 wrote:

In Openreach, 'Key points to know' about retiring the copper network  it says this:

"when 75% of the homes and businesses connected to a particular exchange can get Full Fibre you won't be able to buy our old copper products if Full Fibre is available at your premises, this includes Gfast, Superfast Fibre and Standard Broadband".

Can this really mean that BT would end my digital voice phone and broadband contract?

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/retiring-the-copper-network

Thanks!

It the copper network for phones - PSTN that is being retired    this will not affect all the ISP customer on FTTC or still ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

It means FTTC won't be available to order when FTTP is available, BT prices them exactly the same so it makes sense to have the faster, more reliable means of delivery, the same applies to voice services, you'd have Digital Voice instead of a PSTN.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Thanks Steve

It may sound odd to ask this further question: if BT is not able to bring fibre to the house but an outside supplier, County Broadband, can bring fibre, am I still allowed  to keep my telephone/broadband contract with BT?

My preference is to have a contract with County Broadband for the fast fibre connection but not necessarily move the phone over to them and stay with the phone/broadband contract with BT.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Yes, you may run a Full Fibre connection at the same time as a FTTC or ADSL connection + landline. The latter comes through your phone socket but the former doesn't touch it.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

As above, that statement only applies to new orders. If you wish to keep your current copper phone line with BT you can. But it will be relatively expensive as you'll need line rental & possibly a call plan. It also only applies to Openreach fibre, not third party like County Broadband. I doubt very much we will see ever see FTTP supplied by Openreach now that County Broadband & Gigaclear have made provision in some areas of the village.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Thank you for explaining that discontinuing copper services like digital voice phone with a broadband package will not apply to current BT account holders and only to new orders.

I wish that BT would make an announcement to clarify this to those who want to keep their BT phone contract alongside the basic broadband package option going for the time being!

The cost of the package is currently £29.99 and you get a good customer service from BT when you need it if the lines are down or there is a fault or you want to speak to someone on the phone which is worth hanging on to for the time being!

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Many  thanks for explaining that.

I am relieved we can keep the BT phone/broadband contract (ADSL connection and landline) after full fibre is rolled out in rural areas by other companies.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Yes, I agree. There would be no logic in laying two fibre connections from two different companies to a property or business premises.

0 Ratings