cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

BT landline SMS not working for me help needed!

Hi everyone,

I posted something similar about BT Text service not working properly. A moderator did pick this up but we have tried different things to get it working and I'm still without the service.

Sending REGISTER to 00000 is successful but after a few minutes a get a voice text back saying SMS from BT, there has been a technical error please try again.

So BT must be receiving this text message in order trigger this voice text back.

Sending texts says message sent, but they never arrive and that's to a BT Mobile and O2 mobile.

I've also tried sending the word RESET to 00000

Firstly it's a BT Paragon 650 phone. The message centre number/send number is

1470P170940090

The P is not the letter P but means pause. The 1470 is for people who have Permanent number withhold which I don't have on this line but the BT Paragon 650 phone is set up by default this way with this message centre number.

The next option  in the text settings Send service and option 1 is selected which had that message centre number which I displayed above, the 2nd option in Send service is a 08005875252 number usually for receiving messages which is odd but anyway these settings are default. There is no receive service option.

Caller display is active on this line.

All the calling features work fine on this line and no line fault has been found.

Is there anyone out there able to help me with this.

The moderator who picked this up had the BT Text service removed from my line and put it back on to see if it would work after that but it didn't.

What am I going wrong??

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT landline SMS not working for me help needed!

@MNroshandel1 

Have you had any response to this? Is it sorted?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

I have the same problem.  SMS messages now come through as a voice call instead of text.  This is no good, as when my answering machine takes the call I miss the first part of the message .

Although I rarely receive SMS messages on my landline - it's only when someone accidentally texts to my landline number instead of my mobile - I would still like this facility to work. 

I noticed that this happened after my line had been converted to digital (i.e. BT Digital Voice) - is it possible that this has something to do with it?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/SMS-not-working-after-change-over-to-Digita...

BT digital voice converts inbound text messages to voice using text to speech.

It may also be available in the text store see https://www.bt.com/help/landline/set-up-and-use-bt-text

Section:

How do I pick up messages with BT Text?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

That's missing the point.  

I want to change back to receiving the messages as text messages on my phone, as I used to do.  I don't want them converted to audio messages.  Besides which, BT charges 5p a minute for listening to the audio version of these text messages on 0845 602 1111.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

from previous posts SMS is not supported on DV

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

@dgrob 

It was probably one of the enhancements (extension to the CLI signalling protocol) available within the BT PSTN exchange software, which cannot be reproduced on BT Digital Voice.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

At 23:16 on 4th Jan 2022 we suddenly received an sms txt correctly first time since mid November. As yet don't know who has done what where to fix it but we have now been receving texts corectly for over 36 hours, over a dozen messages. Finger crossed that it keeps working.

0 Ratings