cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

BT now offering Broadband without landline, how do I get rid of my existing Landline

So I see BT (and EE) are now offering BB packages without the previously required Landline. Currently I have a Landline as part of my package but I cant even recall the last time it was used. How do i now get rid of the unnecessary landline without cancelling the Broadband?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT now offering Broadband without landline, how do I get rid of my existing Landline

BT are not offering broadband without a landline as you need either a copper or fibre connection to get your broadband.  the offer is to do away with ability to make or receive landline calls but you still need to pay the rental of the line.  at present there is no reduction in package costs

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Re: BT now offering Broadband without landline, how do I get rid of my existing Landline

As already stated, there still will be a ‘line’ , how it’s paid for seems to agitate some, if line and broadband are ( for example ) £30/month from a provider, the price breakdown between the elements , the line and the broadband  is irrelevant if you have to buy both, the ‘new’ broadband only deal just removes the ability to make and receive calls ,not the physical requirement of a ‘line’,  and TBH, the same effect can be had simply by not plugging in a phone.

Hopefully you don’t think that if an arbitrary price of £20 is put on ‘ line rental’, then it follows that if it’s £30 for both, and there is now a ‘no landline’ option , then it must be £10/month for broadband...the price for a broadband only service is very similar to phone and broadband , you may  possibly  save £1 or £2 a month , or possibly nothing at all.

As far as achieving this, you would have to cease your telephony/broadband service and start a broadband only service....this may be a recognised process when you enquire, ( although it’s quite new ) and it could be seamless  transfer, the only thing you notice is the loss of the ability to make or receive calls , but it’s also possible that the old service is ceased and then a delay before the new broadband only service starts, if the saving is tiny, and the prospect of no broadband for a period is worrying, I’d tread carefully.

A more general thought would be, if you have no telephony, presumably you have no phone number, yet the phone number is currently the item that your account is built around , I wonder what you would have to quote for customer service to locate your account should you need to contact them, I’m not sure just the address would be sufficient 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

I am well aware that there still need to be a physical line, however BT and EE both say No Landline, this leads anyone to believe that it follows no line rental. And if they aren't reducing the fee with removing the ability to call then they are equating the pone service to be free, which it isn't. The line rental has always been associated as the equivalent of a standing charge for the phone service. So the new offer of no landline is misleading at best.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

@syoung76 

I suppose if you just read the headline then I can understand your comment but if you then read the full article then it would have become clear that it was no landline phone ability

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Yes saw that earlier, still misleading advertisement though not is it really an offer.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

As far as I was aware you still pay the Line Rental but you don’t pay for a Call Package, i.e. Evenings and Weekends or Unlimited Calls, which I think accounts for about £5(ish) or your monthly bill.

I think what a lot of people don’t realise is ALL Providers have been offsetting the cost of Broadband off against Line Rental for years. If they get rid of the Line Rental there’s no way they’re going to sell Broadband Packages for £5 or £10 a month, they’ll all be out of business within a year.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

VM have had the option for broadband only , as well as phone and broadband packages  for decades, they also don’t have the added complication of having to offer services wholesale  and have wholesale prices for other providers as well retail prices for their own customers, and they price the stand alone broadband almost the same as phone and broadband, the price difference is negligible, so why anyone would think that BT/OR would be any different ?, if anyone really thought that buying a broadband only service would cut around £20 off the monthly bill is beyond naive , these days telephony is in effect,  a free add on , PAYG for those that only occasionally use the phone, inclusive packages for those that use the phone more than that, don’t want it at all ?, expect a £1 or £2 reduction per month