cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 31

BT stopping Phone Landline use!

I am a Broadband customer but I do not have a mobile phone.

So after BT remove copper systems by 2025, how will I make phone calls?

0 Ratings
30 REPLIES 30
Message 2 of 31

Re: BT stopping Phone Landline use!

Using BT Digital Voice which carries your calls over your broadband connection.

Plenty of info on this forum.

Its only the exchange PSTN equipment that's being ceased , not the copper cables.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 31

If you don’t already have one, BT supply a SH2 ( router ) that has a phone port , you plug a phone into that , and make and receive your calls via DV ( digital voice )

You need to have in mind it’s the PSTN network that is closing , not the copper pair access network, so if your current service is over a copper line, that will continue, if you are on FTTC , you will be contacted probably quite soon as to when you service is switching to DV….you don’t need FTTP for DV.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 31

So, without getting technical

1 My Landline phone will still work without modification or an attachment?

2 What is a SH2 Router, I already have a Hub 6, for B.Band, & phone Master socket is connected to this.

But, our main phone is in another room but I assume this is connected to to Hub 6 via the phone network?

3 What is FTTC?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 31

@Johnoo 

1  yes

2  you will need a new hub - SH2- to replace your existing hub 6 as the new hub also acts as a dect base station for DV phones.  Bt will supply you with a free DV cordless phone or a DV adapter which you can connect to a power supply in your other room and then connect your existing phone to this DV adapter.  once moved to digital voice your phone sockets will no longer work

3 FTTC- fibre to the street cabinet

the FAQ here will also help you

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/Digital-Voice-FAQs/td-p/2207485

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 31

Ref this:-

2 you will need a new hub - SH2- to replace your existing hub 6 as the new hub also acts as a dect base station for DV phones. Bt will supply you with a free DV cordless phone or a DV adapter which you can connect to a power supply in your other room and then connect your existing phone to this DV adapter. once moved to digital voice your phone sockets will no longer work

So I will get :-

a A new hub - what do I connect to this?

b A DV adapter - do I just plug this into an electric socket near to my phone & the phone will work?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 31

The new hub is just a replacement for your old hub, so plug it in where the old one was plugged in.

You can either use the new supplied DV handsets, plug your existing base station/corded phone into the green socket at the rear of your new hub or plug the adapter into any electrical socket and plug your base station or corded phone into that.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 31

@Johnoo wrote:

Ref this:-

2 you will need a new hub - SH2- to replace your existing hub 6 as the new hub also acts as a dect base station for DV phones. Bt will supply you with a free DV cordless phone or a DV adapter which you can connect to a power supply in your other room and then connect your existing phone to this DV adapter. once moved to digital voice your phone sockets will no longer work

So I will get :-

a A new hub - what do I connect to this? It connects to the BT Master socket in the same way as your present hub connects. If you want you can connect your phone to the hub or if you want to have your phone elsewhere you order a DV Adaptor and use it as per your next question.

b A DV adapter - do I just plug this into an electric socket near to my phone & the phone will work? You plug the DV adapter into your chosen socket and then plug your phone into that or you can order a free BT DV wireless phone and this connects to your home hub using the WPS button and then site the phone where ever you want.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 31

Thanks, as I have a new Panasonic cordless phone with answerphone think I will plug the base station of this into the adapter in the electric socket.-- have i got this correct?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 31

Deleted by poster.
--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings