cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 31

Re: BT stopping Phone Landline use!

@Bob1001 wrote:

@pottyperson  Where do I click for "not helpful"

The same place where I click for "just a joke".

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Message 22 of 31

Re: your wiring and the IEE/IET wiring regulations, and your mains socket install (this seems to be your sticking point)......are you breaking in to a ring main installation, or is a simple spur connection involved?....Take a careful look at those wiring regulations! A simple Earth Fault protection may be involved.

If you bring someone in....of course they will recommend a complete rewire! I don’t want to enlarge on the subject, but in days gone by a complete rewire to the new regs. was a sensitive subject, where the elderly  and vulnerable were pestered.

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 31

@Ribblelancs  Thank you, it would be breaking into a ring main, (certainly part P regarding a competent person but I don't think  notifiable). It may be easier with a spur back to the fuse box (Part P and notifiable) but a long way, similarly with the ring main it goes no where near the hall so quite a job to do it.

Installing a phone extension socket would certainly be easier but he needs convincing that the phone could be somewhere else (I could easily put this in)

All quite a lot of work when the change is imposed and not asked for.

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 31

Your relative, as they don’t have broadband will be pretty  much the last category of customer to be migrated onto DV,  presumably they are currently a BT customer, ( otherwise why would you bother posting here ) but out of ‘ the many’ consumers like this you state must exist, only some will be BT customers, how other providers deal with their customers  is of no concern here.
FWIW, it’s far too early to say what will happen with BT telephony only customers, AFAIK the equipment to provide telephony hasn’t even been presented yet , and the Openreach 0.5Mb wholesale product only recently introduced….it’s could be  around 3 years before these customers are moved, so no need for you to panic just yet , it’s also likely that some ‘help’ will be provided for those genuinely needing a phone socket providing near to a power outlet…much like when hard wired phones were replaced with PST ( plug and socket ) phones, no doubt anyone making it known that they require help will be helped….

Message 25 of 31

I think "he likes the phone in the hall" is trumped by replacing an old creaking and expensive system. For sure there may be some problems but gradually they (or most of them) will be resolved. I can recall the stories about the "disasters" that would ensue when analogue TV was switched off. Of course they didn't even though a few old TVs became dated furniture overnight.
0 Ratings
Message 26 of 31

One thing that may not have been noticed yet is that on changing to a smarthub2 there may be problems if you have Sky Q and mini boxes as there can be a clash between the Sky mesh on 5Ghz Ch36 and the smarthub 2's 5Ghz channel. With previous hubs it was easy to cure by splitting frequencies but unfortunately you can't split them with the smarthub2.

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 31

Sigh, no but you can change the channel from Ch36 as has been explained countless times on the forum.

0 Ratings
Message 28 of 31

Do you mean change the SSID so the bands have different names? I wasnt aware that was an issue with Q. I thought they only used their bespoke Sky 5Ghz . In any case I found the Q wifi terrible so I hardwired mine.

0 Ratings
Message 29 of 31

@licquorice  Yes indeed however you are unlikely to think about it when you get a new hub so DV works hence why I posted here. Also don't assume people know about it until they have problems and then search for a solution.

Incidentally moving frequency does not always work and in some cases it could not be sorted out BT in a couple of cases I know have changed smarthub2s back to the original smarthub, that option will no longer be available once changed to DV.

0 Ratings
Message 30 of 31

I have SKY Q with 3 minis all connected by wifi to my SH2 and as soon as I changed my 5ghz to channel 48 never have had any connection problems with my SKY Q since

you can always change the SKY Q from channel 36 instead

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.