cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Bad reception on hd digital voice phones

Recently got Full fibre Broadband with Halo 3.

About a week after connection I was texted to say I was to get Digital Voice ,I hadn’t asked for this.I was perfectly happy with the Call Guardian phones I had. The next day a text to say my Digital Voice service was now ready to use, and to just plug in my existing phone into the back of my hub and unplug any old phones . No mention at that time that the phones needed adapters,so no service . I got in touch with BT and was told I could have free either 1 Advanced phone or 2 lesser ones ,not sure of their name,or 2 Adapters.

I went for the advanced one ,which the operator said was good as there was a delay on the ‘less advanced’ ones.I thought that along with my Call Guardian ones plus Adapters I would be set up.I need 4 phones  in this house as it’s quite big. Still awful problems with service, and was then told you couldn’t mix 2 types of phone. I asked if I could revert to the original phones which were absolutely fine before,and was told that wasn’t possible. I now only get a decent line on the one nearest to the hub and have to move out of other rooms to be able to hold a conversation,due to crackling  and peeping. Why am I getting a far worst service than with the older versions. I am at my wits end ,no one seems to know how to sort this out.Such a ridiculous backward step.

Has anyone else had this problem ,or can throw any light on how to fix it?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Bad reception on hd digital voice phones

@borgesi 

There is  no reason why your existing phone would not work when it is plugged into the phone socket on the back of the Smart Hub 2.

There is normally no need for any adapter, just plug the base unit of your existing phone system into that socket, if that is what you have.

Message 3 of 12

Hi 

Thank you for your interest.

I have done that but no luck. I have four HD voice phones,and four Call Guardian  ones.The only clear reception I get is when connected via WiFi (HD voice ) and in the room where the hub is and the plugged in  (Call  guardian )to the Smart Hub 2. and then only those ones.Hall, kitchen and bedroom  I have to walk toward the hub to try to get rid of  beeping and crackling Not ideal. I also always kept a corded phone plugged in in the past in case of power failures, we’re in the country, a facility not now possible. I think BT should have made sure that everything was in place before exposing us to this disruption. Tech lines don’t seem to know how to fix this ,for me anyway

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Digital voice doesn't use wifi, it is Dect.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

are all the new DV phones from BT and paired to the SH2?  the phones do not connect to SH2 by wifi but by DECT just like probably the cordless phones you currently have.  is the reception on new phones ok - no crackle/interference?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Hi

All paired separately,and named Headset 1 2 3 4.

Two are Alexa capable and work ok with Alexa  , two are the ones with red shield with cross (!)

They are only clear when in the Study where the Smart hub is.

I have registered and unregistered all a couple of times ,it must be the distance?Although a smaller house would expect a nearby room to be useable!

I just went into the bedroom,the farthest and worst reception,and found out that two of the handsets when ON the charging unit and hands -free sound a clear unbroken tone.
One  Alexa   and one of the other type of DV  ‘ stutter’ and crackle when hands free on the cradle .

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

it may be you have a couple of faulty phones.  are they all fully charged?

DECT gives a better overall coverage than wifi

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Hi

Thank you for your reply

I always return and keep the phones in the charging ‘cradles’.

Strangely one of each ‘type ‘ give a clear tone -no stutters in hands free mode.

I have to say the phones seem a bit wobbly in the cradle ,but show fully charged.

Its a mystery to me that the Call Guardian ones were fine,so frustrating!

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

So why not still use the call guardian phones?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Hi

The guardian ones are out of charge now as I’ve been concentrating on the digital voice ones,but I am now charging them up again to have another go with them. I will need to deregister the voice ones ,as they don’t work together. I seem to go round in circles! 
If I can get the Call Guardian ones to work properly,I’ll be fine with that.

Anyway thanks to all who have responded with information ,I’m very grateful.

I’ll call it a day for the moment and go back (if I can to the old tech knowledge….

Thank you again everyone.

0 Ratings