cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Booking an engineer for preventative maintenance

Go to solution

The broadband cable comes from a pole at the back of the house. A couple of years ago the cable got damaged by the wind bashing it against the corner of next door's house and an engineer repaired it with a join and installed a metal bracket on the fascia, cable tying the cable to it to stop it getting damaged again.

The cable ties have now broken and the cable is once more free to bash on the wall. As there is nothing to fix (yet), but there will be if it's left, the online fault checker is pointless as there's no fault. How do I arrange for an engineer to come out with a ladder and a couple of cable ties? It's too high up for me to do myself. Or do I have to go through the motions with the fault checker and eventually it'll give me the option to explain what I need?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Booking an engineer for preventative maintenance

Go to solution

@Tenesmus 

Who provides your phone service?

Its Openreach who look after the network, and unless its a health or safety issue, they will not  deal with it unless there is a fault. You could always ask.

https://www.openreach.com/help-and-support/damage-health-and-safety

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe 

I'll ring them. Arguably the cable ties are part of their installation and are "damaged" so it's worth a try.

Thanks!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe well it worked! Less than an hour after struggling with a heavily-accented call-handler, an OpenReach chap came and sorted it with the thickest cable tie I've ever seen...

Cheers!

Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Excellent 😀

0 Ratings