cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Marc68
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Broadband speed and landline problems

Sorry for the length of this post but I'll keep it as short as I can.

For a year or two now I've had intermittent problems with crackling on the phone line, and the broadband connection dropping out. The line can be ok for months or weeks, but the problem always returns eventually. Several (phone)engineer visits have failed to resolve the problem, though for reasons not immediately apparent it often clears up following their visits, at least temporarily.

My basic question is: could an increase in broadband speed cause or expose problems with the landline? I'm fairly certain that the noise problem only began when my broadband speed was increased in 2016 - from around 6mbps to around 19 mbps. The line-speed now varies quite a bit, with all the line-noise and  the drop-outs that it causes. As the engineers who have investigated it are not experts with broadband ,they always approach it as a phone problem, but I'm beginning to wonder if this is the wrong approach? Maybe I need a broadband engineer?

Just to add: my landline is fibre to the street-box (which is quite a long way from the house), then a mix of fibre and copper wire to the little junction box on the edge of my property. From there it's copper-wire into the house, about 35 years old. The last engineer who came, to be fair he gave it his all and did at least narrow down the cause to a possible fault with the cable between the garden-box and the house. I'd be happy to have this cable replaced, but don't want to do it unnecessarily as it would involve taking up astro-turf, etc..

Any advice or thoughts please.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Broadband speed and landline problems

Welcome to this user forum.

Its the other way around, the landline will be the cause of the broadband problem.

The line should be quiet.

If you do not get dial tone, or there is noise on the line, then you need to report it as either no dial tone, or a noisy line. Do not mention the broadband problem, otherwise it will end up in the wrong fault queue, and take much longer to be fixed. There are plenty of people who can fix phone faults, but not as many broadband people.

Once the phone fault is fixed, then the broadband will get better.

imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 13

if you still get noise on quiet line test when using the test socket then you need to continue to report a phone fault not broadband to 150     your broadband will never improve with noise on your line

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Marc68
Beginner
Message 4 of 13

Thanks. Your answer confirms the approach has been correct so far, calling in phone engineers even though so far a permanent solution has eluded them.

I should also mention  though that the test socket shows clear line, and the phone itself has no noise if the Home Hub is disconnected. It's only when the Hub is re-connected and the lights turn to orange/blue that the noise on the phone returns. So it appears some interference is going on somewhere along the way between phone and router messages, though I'm not technically savvy enough to know whether this is caused by a physical line fault or something at the message-exchange level. The Home Hub is only a few months old, and in fact the last engineer did try a replacement hub but the problem persisted. Changing to another phone makes no difference either.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

A high resistance connection can cause the broadband signal to be converted to audable noise.

If you have tested at the test socket as shown below, and the noise is still there, then it has to be an external fault, provided you have no other extension wiring teed in.

As this is a repeat fault, I have mentioned it to the moderators.

adsl_test.jpg

0 Ratings
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 13

Sounds like a HR fault. I've seen this happen before where the Hub injects noise down the line and causes a noisy line. Have you got another router you can try? If so, see if the noise occurs with that connected.
0 Ratings
Marc68
Beginner
Message 7 of 13

Thanks. I was told that it was a router problem, and got a new Home Hub last spring. Everything worked fine until a couple of months ago, when the noise on the line returned. I don't have an alternative router to try now, but the engineer who came the other day tried one that he had in the van and the noise was still there. I have seen other posts on here about HR faults and they sound very similar to mine. Is the only remedy installing a new cable, do you know? Also can an HR fault suddenly disappear for no apparent reason, as this problem does?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

A HR (High Resistance) fault can come and go, and can be very difficult to locate.

A common fault is a corroded crimped cable pair connection, or corroded connection in a DP (distribution point).

You need to keep reporting the noise, until its fixed.

Marc68
Beginner
Message 9 of 13

I have no other extensions, and I have the latest type of master socket with micro filters in the face-plate, so nothing can get between the phone and the external line. It seems therefore from what you say that an HR fault is the likeliest cause, so I just need to persuade everyone else of that now. There seems to be a reluctance among both the frontline operators and the engineers to admit that it is a fault with the external line until every other possibility has been exhausted. Smiley Frustrated I did mention HR faults to one engineer but I guess he was not persuaded enough to pursue it... The time restrictions on their visits are a real obstacle in trying to get to the root of a persistent/intermittent problem like this.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

it is always possible the filtered faceplate is faulty and that can be eliminated by connecting to the test socket with a filter  I am sure that CS will ask you to do the same

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings