cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

Broken extension plug

Hi, any chance someone can advise on the following please?  The wiring on the  extension plug into the master socket is broken and it appears to be a DIY extension put in by previous owners. The extension cable appears to run under the carpets then up the wall into an upstairs office but it would be a real pain to remove in its entirety and replace. Please can you tell me if it is possible to replace the broken plug so that I can get the extension working again? 

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: Broken extension plug

There will be others on here more knowledgeable than me;   however,  from my own experience:

The good news is that it is possible to replace a broken plug.    The bad news is that it can be almost as big a pain as replacing the wiring.    The wires in the extension lead are likely to be filament-thin,  and working with them without constantly breaking them is a nightmare.    You can buy replacement plugs easily online;   again,  someone correct me if I'm wrong,  but I think you need to search  'RJ11'.    If you're lucky,  you might find one that will come with a tool to help you do the surgery necessary.    Depending on your own assessment of your D.I.Y. skills,  it might even be worth paying an engineer privately to come out and do it for you;   it's a costly way of solving the problem  ( depending what engineers charge privately in your area ),  but on the other hand,  at least then it's their headache,  not yours.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

@scottie10 

Is it just a phone extension or a point to plug the router into?

If it's the former then it's quite simple and you want something like this:- "BT Extension Telephone Wall Socket" which you can find on well known websites and might be next day if you have prime membership or similar. Enough clues there I think!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

which master do you have?  is it a telephone extension cable where connector has broken?

Keith_Beddoe_0-1577035081757.jpegMaster socket types.jpeg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

Hi Firefox, Tim

Many thanks for your replies, much appreciated. Yes it's the plug on the end of the extension that is broken, or should I say the wires within it. The extension  cable is quite old looking at the and  removing the broken part from the cable doesn't look easy with so many wires in it, I'll try and post photographs later

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

Hi, thanks for your reply, it's image number 2 the Master Socket 5C  and yes it's the plug on the extension cable that is broken 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

Hi, thanks for your reply, it's image number 2 the Master Socket 5C and yes it's the plug on the extension cable that is broken
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

If the plug is normally inserted in the phone socket rather than the broadband socket, you need a Plug 431A

Google  "fitting plug 431A" for You Tube videos on how to accomplish this.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

@scottie10 

You only need wires 2 & 5 connected for the phone to work.

Are you able to post a snap of the broken unit?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

Hi Tim,

photos attached  hope they help

cheers

0 Ratings