cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PeteMcV
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Call Barring PIN (new service)

I have added Call Barring to a landline but received no information on the PIN (don't know whether it is sent by mail/ post/ if it is a default). I contacted live assistance and was told the PIN is 1234 but they were unable to tell me how to find this information or, more importantly, how to change the PIN from this obvious default. Can anyone help - is there likely to be a unique PIN being sent to me or is it a default 1234? If it is a default, is there a way to change this on-line or on the phone?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Andy005
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Call Barring PIN (new service)

Hi @PeteMcV 

After having a bit of a search it looks like you need to call BT. I wouldn't get your hopes up though because their Calling Features User Guide has this on Page 5:

Changing your PIN number
• Some obvious PINs such as 5678 and 2222, or PINs that use
numbers in obvious patterns on your dialing keypad such as
2580 are not allowed.

Despite it being titled 'Changing your PIN number' there is nothing in there about how you go about changing it. I find it quite amusing that they've told you 1234 and yet they quote the above, proof reading and a few other things are long forgotten skills at BT.

Have you checked to see if 1234 works as a PIN?

I did find this as well:

"If you forget your call barring PIN you will need to contact BT for a reset. In some of our exchanges the Call Barring service locks after 3 failed attempts. If you suspect that this is the case then you will need to contact us on 0800 800 151." 

This somewhat suggests, contradicting their leaflet, that BT define the PIN and you can't reset it.

0 Ratings
PeteMcV
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Thanks Andy.

Following incomplete and inaccurate information from the on-line chat I rang BT Business and spoke to a really helpful guy. He said that there should have been a prompt when I was ordering the service allowing me to set the PIN but I can categorically state there definitely wasn't (I went through the process again just to verify). Following security checks he was able to set the PIN for me to a number of my choice. 

Information sent as part of the order and order complete mails did not give any mention/ advice/ guidance as to PIN, searches (both within and outside BT sites) was useless regarding PINs and on-line help was a total waste of time. End of the day a good old human intervention by someone who gave a damn was required!

0 Ratings
Andy005
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 4

At least you've got it sorted now, my limited experience of BT is that you need to avoid Live Chat and try to get through to a UK Call Centre.

0 Ratings