cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Call Protect 1572

Go to solution

Hello and Happy New Year! 🎊🎊

I have Call Protect 1572 and have two questions about it.

1) Is it possible to block an incoming call without answering it? At the moment I have to answer the call before I am able to block it on Call Protect and this means having to answer a call I don't want to answer! (and talk to scam callers I want to block!) An option to enter a number I want to block would be good, but I want to be able to do this on the phone, not online.

2) Is there any way of unblocking a blocked number on Call Protect without having to set up a MyBT account online to do so?

I hope you can answer my questions.

Thank you

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Call Protect 1572

Go to solution

@Koala456 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

Call Protect is not really suitable for what you are trying to do. You will never be able to block every scam number, there are thousands of them.

You need to use a call blocking phone, like the BT4600, and that will do what you want. You only have to answer calls that you want to receive, and force others to announce themselves first, which scam callers never do.

Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Call Protect is rubbish, it doesn't actually "block" anything. In fact, Openreach internally refer to the feature as "Choose to Divert"- a far more accurate name. Calls are still connected (thus ensuring vital revenue for BT); your phone just doesn't ring and Caller Display is somehow bypassed as well. Other than that, it's not much different from the standard 1571 Voicemail service. It's inconvenient for the user as well, because you have to keep dialling 1572 to see if a voice message has been left that just might be important (at least 1571-compatible phones will check this for you and send an alert, or you hear the stuttered dial tone when you pick up the receiver which tells you there's a message waiting). Also, you can't deactivate the Voicemail element of Call Protect, which is an absolute pain! You also can't review your list of blocked numbers and unblock them using your telephone keypad - you have to do it online (not good for those without a 'My BT' account, which is most of those who only take a phone service from BT), whereas Choose to Refuse (see below) lets you do it over the phone (by dialling 14258). With Call Protect you can only "block" the last number that rang as well, whereas Choose to Refuse allows you to manually add a number.

Choose to Refuse and Anonymous Call Reject are two features that have been around for many years and do the job properly by physically blocking calls at exchange level so that they are NOT connected at all, in any form. So, although expensive, they are extremely effective and well worth the money (and available free with Line Rental Plus or Home Phone Saver). T
his is why my parents cancelled Call Protect and went back to the tried-and-tested pairing of Choose to Refuse/Anonymous Call Reject (Call Protect is incompatible with the latter two, they cancel each other). I have to say that ACR is more valuable than CTR, as CTR only allows you to block 10 numbers; it would be far better if BT followed TalkTalk's example and expanded that to 100 numbers (the maximum permitted with Call Protect). But clearly they have no interest in expanding/improving the feature and want to wind it and ACR down, no doubt having convinced themselves that Call Protect is a worthy replacement.

Call Protect is certainly no better than those so-called "call-blocking" phones, which are now very common (and at least such phones allow you to deactivate callers' ability to leave a message, unlike Call Protect, meaning that Call Protect is inferior even to those).

Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Hi Tim, thanks for your really long message about the ins and outs of Call Protect. I agree with a lot of what you say. I find Call Protect useful, but there are certain things about it that could be improved. My biggest annoyance about it is that you have to have to actually answer the call first before you can block it, especially a number you know is going to be a spam call. And a message alert system would be good too.

😀

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution
I always look at caller display when it rings. If I don't recognise it I don't answer. Then I manually block it via My BT.
0 Ratings