cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 32

Call Protect and Fraudulent Computer Generated Calls from Indian numbers

Last week I answered a call on the BT landline. It was from someone claiming to be from Open Reach (BT) calling about my router problems, being hacked (yawn, I thought, not that old chestnut again). Anyway, after 5-10 minutes I got bored with the idiocy of the caller, clearly a fraudster as wanted access to my laptop to fix the hack. I told him I knew this was fraudulent and to never call my number again. Since then telephone terror. I receive calls from Indian numbers numerous times a day. As soon as I block a number, they dial through with a slightly different number. I called BT yesterday who said they'd block calls that are computer generated and at 7:57am this morning, I had the first call. As I still work from home, I do not have the time or energy to answer the fraudulent calls (they now hang up as soon as I answer anyway). I have now blocked all calls via 1572. The problem is that my partner is expecting important calls regarding surgery and for some reason, how ever many times we tell the hospital to ring the mobile, they still ring the landline. We are petrified to miss an important call re surgery, but I cannot sit here with the telephone shrilling every 30 minutes. Please BT, do something. 

0 Ratings
31 REPLIES 31
Message 2 of 32

Re: Call Protect and Fraudulent Computer Generated Calls from Indian numbers

@AndreaLechnerwrote:

Last week I answered a call on the BT landline. It was from someone claiming to be from Open Reach (BT) calling about my router problems, being hacked (yawn, I thought, not that old chestnut again). Anyway, after 5-10 minutes I got bored with the idiocy of the caller, clearly a fraudster as wanted access to my laptop to fix the hack. I told him I knew this was fraudulent and to never call my number again. Since then telephone terror. I receive calls from Indian numbers numerous times a day. As soon as I block a number, they dial through with a slightly different number. I called BT yesterday who said they'd block calls that are computer generated and at 7:57am this morning, I had the first call. As I still work from home, I do not have the time or energy to answer the fraudulent calls (they now hang up as soon as I answer anyway). I have now blocked all calls via 1572. The problem is that my partner is expecting important calls regarding surgery and for some reason, how ever many times we tell the hospital to ring the mobile, they still ring the landline. We are petrified to miss an important call re surgery, but I cannot sit here with the telephone shrilling every 30 minutes. Please BT, do something. 

I raised the problem of these (apparently spoofed) +91 calls not being treated as International calls, which should be junked, but have had no response.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/Unwanted-International-calls/m-p/2178714#M7... 

Message 3 of 32

I get frequent scam calls to my landline and almost daily scam emails purporting to come from BT.  I have sent two emails to senior BT managers asking what they are doing to address this, or if as I suspect, they are powerless to stop it then to admit the fact publicly that they can do nothing to protect their customers.  I have had no response. 

Message 4 of 32

@AndreaLechner 

A better option is to use a phone with BT Call Guardian, like the BT4600, instead of using BT Call protect.

That will block 100% of scam calls, while still allowing calls that you want to receive.

New callers that are not in the phone`s directory, have to announce themselves first. Scam callers never do that.

Message 5 of 32

I really don't want to pay for something else especially not as this is effectively harassment and fraud and there should be a responsibility for the provider to do more.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 32

@AndreaLechnerwrote:
I really don't want to pay for something else especially not as this is effectively harassment and fraud and there should be a responsibility for the provider to do more.

Too right!

When one's Call Protect settings say no International calls BT should not allow any such  calls through whether they are from actual numbers or spoofed.

Message 7 of 32

Do you seriously think that if it were simple to implement a block on spoofed calls, BT and all the other telcos wouldn't have done something by now.

It is a worldwide problem and extremely difficult to deal with.

Message 8 of 32

Why so defensive of BT?! Actually, I don't think BT and other telecoms providers do enough to protect paying customers from scams and fraudsters. These are global corporations which make a lot of money for their shareholders and it is high time that they put more of this money (the money we pay them) into developing systems that protect their customers better from what is effectively harassment and unlawful activity. Is there a simple answer, probably not; that doesn't mean they shouldn't try better and harder.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 32

Actually, just looking back to the previous message and it is apparently easy to block these calls by purchasing BT4200. Hence it is perfectly possible to block all the harassment and fraudulent calls. BT simply insist that the customer who is already paying an arm and a leg pay an additional body part for the better and additional protection.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 32

I take the point about how difficult it is to stop scammers.  I just wish that BT would be upfront and address the problem candidly.  BT invite us to send examples of phishing emails to them but I don't see that there is any point in doing so.  It would make me feel better if they said "We're sorry that you receive hundreds of scam emails and calls.  There is not much we can do about it.  We'll keep trying."