cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 32

Re: Call Protect and Fraudulent Computer Generated Calls from Indian numbers

@AndreaLechner wrote:
Why so defensive of BT?!

I'm not defensive of BT, just a realist.

If it were easy for a telco to stop scammers, one of them would have done it by now and totally cleared up the market with it as a unique selling point.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 32

@AndreaLechner wrote:

Actually, just looking back to the previous message and it is apparently easy to block these calls by purchasing BT4200. Hence it is perfectly possible to block all the harassment and fraudulent calls. BT simply insist that the customer who is already paying an arm and a leg pay an additional body part for the better and additional protection.

All the BT4600 does is to implement a "whitelist" of calls you want to receive without them being intercepted. All other callers, including withheld numbers, have to say who they are before they can get through.

Your phone will ring and displays "Announce". You then listed to who they say they are, and can then decide whether to speak to them.

Its not possible for any phone provider to block calls which have spoofed numbers, as they would still have a valid CLI (Calling Line Identity), even though it may not be real.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 32

@licquoricewrote:

Do you seriously think that if it were simple to implement a block on spoofed calls, BT and all the other telcos wouldn't have done something by now.

It is a worldwide problem and extremely difficult to deal with.

Assuming that was aimed at me, then no I do not expect BT to block all spoofed calls.

When, in Call Protect, I choose not to receive calls from International numbers I do NOT expect to receive daily nuisance  calls from +91 numbers, spoofed or real. If BT can't stop +91 numbers from getting through then their Call Protect system is not working.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 32

Scam calls are computer generated auto dialled call and are made in their millions per day.  Generally speaking scam calls start off with nobody at the other end until the person receiving the call either speaks or holds on long enough for the automatically dialled call being transferred to a live scammer.

It is during this period of silence that people should just hang up.

If the person called just hangs up immediately rather than engaging with the scammer it is more often than not enough to stop anymore such calls.

If the receiver does not hang up , depending on the response the scammer gets dictates what happens there after.

If the person called engages with the scammer the scammer then knows that they have a) a live recipient and b) a person possibly ripe for being scammed.

This will result in the person called phone number being marked as such. The result is then even more calls from a multitude of scammers. 

The best advice is if you receive a call that on you answering with "Hello" or what ever greeting you use is met initially with silence it means that you are receiving an auto dialled call and you should just hang up at that point.

If it is a genuine call of any importance the caller will no doubt call you back within a minute or so. Auto dialled scammer calls do not call back.

Just to give an idea of how difficult it is to block such calls, the USA recorded 4.4 billion autocalls in one month alone so you can imagine how many are made world wide in a year!

Message 15 of 32

Well that's three "Distinguished Sages" who miss the point!

"No International calls" means just that.  Turning all +91 calls, spoofed or real, to junk is what the customer expects and BT is failing to do so.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 32

@GE the calls aren't originating from +91 country code, they're being made through data connections which is why their country of origin isn't being picked up. Technically they're coming via a VoIP connection but without SIP authentication. Effectively, they just plug a microphone into a computer and use free telephony software...

Message 17 of 32

@GeoffSmith wrote:

"No International calls" means just that.  Turning all +91 calls, spoofed or real, to junk is what the customer expects and BT is failing to do so.

Its you missing the point, it wasn't an International call, ergo it wasn't blocked. It was a spoofed call.

Message 18 of 32

@GeoffSmith wrote:

I have not missed the point. I never even tried to answer your point about international calls but if I was I would point out that they are NOT international calls. They are computer generated calls that purport to be international.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 32

@licquoricewrote:

@GeoffSmithwrote:

Its you missing the point, it wasn't an International call, ergo it wasn't blocked. It was a spoofed call.

If a customer has set Call Protect to "No International calls" then it's perfectly clear that they don't want any calls purporting to be International, whether real or not.

Are you seriously saying that BT cannot turn all +91 numbered calls, wherever they originate, to junk?

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 32

@GeoffSmith wrote:

@licquoricewrote:

@GeoffSmithwrote:

If a customer has set Call Protect to "No International calls" then it's perfectly clear that they don't want any calls purporting to be International, whether real or not.

Are you seriously saying that BT cannot turn all +91 numbered calls, wherever they originate, to junk?

You would appear to have a problem understanding that the number that the call purports to be from has been spoofed and is not a genuine number. I suggest that you read up on spoofed numbers and how computer generated calls differ from genuine calls.