cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 131 of 136

Re: Call Protect blacklist now full...

Best way to block calls is the CPR call blocker. Been using it for 4 years.

It allows blocking of ranges eg 020* etc. Indian scammers (some are no doubt in the UK as they were caught by police in Glasgow in a money transfer sting and turned out to be visiting students) use Birmingham, London etc for fake numbers so I block nearly any range I could think of.

It also works with Digital Voice although I do sometimes get a little beep where the call almost gets though.

A taste of blocked ranges I use (that's around 3 years' worth):

010*
0203*
0201*
0202*
0128*
0158*
0159*
0157*
0156*
0155*
0154*
0153*
0152*
0164*
05*
01232*
00987*
01248*
01412*
01413*
0192*
0165*
0161*
01239*
09*
018*
01256*
0118*
01304*
01233*
0177*
01236*
01815*
01789*
0807*
0806*
0805*
0804*
0803*
0802*
0801*
0122*
0725*
0726*
076* 
0756*
06*
0766*
0768*
0764*
0744*
0730*
0173*
0120*
0124*
0123*
07735*
0783*
0796*
0739*
02036*
07761*
070*
0790*

Easy to remove or add numbers. You can also block withheld, international etc but I don't bother with withheld as scammers aren't going to do that because they want you to THINK it's a proper caller.

Not interested in screening calls too much faff.

TPS is a total joke it's been superceded by data protection laws.

0 Ratings
Message 132 of 136

Well if you think BT are considering increasing the limit, you are mistaken. If you think they are considering permanently blocking certain numbers or patterns, that seem to get reported more than others, you are mistaken.. BT make money from people using their service, it is not in their interest to cut off all these scammers.. Someone somewhere is being paid to pretend that BT care, when in fact they don't give a damn... Sure you can get yourself a nice new Digital Voice phone, sure you can cal any UK landline or mobile and talk as much as you want at no cost.. but at the end of the day, you are paying for a service and despite the huge leaps in technology, since the old days of using the pone box in the street to call anyone, things have not gotten better, they have gotten worse.. We never had as many scammer and cold callers calling us up daily, when you had to pay per minute and phone bills could be hundreds or even thousands.

All this talk about security, protection from these people, is all just that TALK. If you block a number, it should be up to BT to investigate that number and take whatever action is necessary to prevent it getting through...  020, 023 numbers are those that take up a huge proportion of the numbers on my block list.

As for the ability to increase the limit from 100 to 1000, it's just numbers and the coding required to increase the limit is trivial and storing those numbers trivial too.. Type out a list of those number in notepad and see how pitiful an amount of space is required to store that list... The ability to spot certain numbers being blocked by hundreds or customers, should have BT putting those numbers of a special black that prevents that number getting to ANYONE and then deleting it from all customer blacklists

Simple fact is, BT are in this for the money and they don't care where that money comes from.. and no matter how much you complain or ho many of us post about an issue here on the forum. BT don't care

I miss having to use the phone box to call family and friends, when we never had a landline in the house.. You never got spam calls back then. In fact even when we finally got our shiny new landline phone installed, nobody complained about scammers. It all comes down to technology, it's reached the point now, where you can call almost anyone , almost anywhere, for zero cost and talk to them for as long as you want... The digital age has made it so easy fro everyone, yet at the same time, made it easier for scammers too.

Yes something needs to be done to put an end to these losers, but if you think BT or even the government are going to be the ones to fix it, then think again

I would prefer a system that only allows a call to get through if

1) if it is on your personal list
2) Has been verified as a legitimate number by an independent body, who add those scam numbers to a central list, which blocks them completely

That same independent body shud also have the power to track these **bleep** down and prosecute them , shut down their operation(s) and have them thrown in prison or made to pay huge fines

Will we ever see such a system, doubtful. Not in my lifetime anyway, there is just to much money involved and the technology is not helping to make things better, it is simply making it easier for everyone, which sadly includes the scammers

Increase the limit to 1000, you'll get even more calls and want it increased again. There should be NO limit

0 Ratings
Message 133 of 136

@andy541960wrote:

Will we ever see such a system, doubtful. Not in my lifetime anyway,

Yes you can get what you want now - get a call barring phone

0 Ratings
Message 134 of 136

@andy541960wrote:

If you think they are considering permanently blocking certain numbers or patterns, that seem to get reported more than others, you are mistaken..

This is the same for all telecom companies. They will not block large ranges of numbers for obvious reasons, one being that scammers spoof numbers within blocks that are being used by "normal" people.

BT make money from people using their service, it is not in their interest to cut off all these scammers..

Categorically untrue

We never had as many scammer and cold callers calling us up daily, when you had to pay per minute and phone bills could be hundreds or even thousands.

Not if they are using systems that are not in this country.

All this talk about security, protection from these people, is all just that TALK. If you block a number, it should be up to BT to investigate that number and take whatever action is necessary to prevent it getting through... 

Numbers reported are checked. However if they are spoofed, then there is nothing that BT or any other company can do at present. Quite often the scammers spoof unused ranges. Don't forget, BT do not control the number ranges or their allocation to companies - that is OFCOM.

020, 023 numbers are those that take up a huge proportion of the numbers on my block list.

020 is the generic code for London - do you want to block the whole of London? 023 is the generic code for Portsmouth and Southampton - do you want to block the whole of Portsmouth and Southampton?

As for the ability to increase the limit from 100 to 1000, it's just numbers and the coding required to increase the limit is trivial and storing those numbers trivial too.. Type out a list of those number in notepad and see how pitiful an amount of space is required to store that list... The ability to spot certain numbers being blocked by hundreds or customers, should have BT putting those numbers of a special black that prevents that number getting to ANYONE and then deleting it from all customer blacklists

BT does have a blacklist of numbers - or at least did. For individuals, that's a different story.

Simple fact is, BT are in this for the money and they don't care where that money comes from.. and no matter how much you complain or ho many of us post about an issue here on the forum. BT don't care

If it was easy for BT (or any other telecom company) to block these sorts of calls - most are generated from non-UK sources - then they would be doing so. To interrogate across networks and countries to make sure a number calling is valid is not at all easy, quick or indeed currently possible. The cost and network overhead processing is simply prohibitive.

Yes something needs to be done to put an end to these losers, but if you think BT or even the government are going to be the ones to fix it, then think again

Why are you only complaining about BT? What about all the other companies, including the mobile ones that are bigger than BT? What about non-UK? There are vast sized companies in the USA for example with exactly the same issue - it's global. Again - if it was easy, then it would have been done. Nothing to do with "think again"

Available

2) Has been verified as a legitimate number by an independent body, who add those scam numbers to a central list, which blocks them completely

Not currently available. As I said, these numbers are spoofed and can actually be valid numbers used by businesses and anyone. So this independent body is NOT going to block these numbers.

That same independent body shud also have the power to track these **bleep** down and prosecute them , shut down their operation(s) and have them thrown in prison or made to pay huge fines

They are nearly always not in the UK

Will we ever see such a system, doubtful. Not in my lifetime anyway, there is just to much money involved and the technology is not helping to make things better, it is simply making it easier for everyone, which sadly includes the scammers

Increase the limit to 1000, you'll get even more calls and want it increased again. There should be NO limit

Adding numbers to a personal blocklist, no matter what the size, doesn't specifically help in the long run. Like email spammers, they spoof the phone number - i.e. it's not theirs, so they can change it regularly. Hence the reason the limit soon gets filled up. Exactly the same as adding a spam email "from" address to a blocklist, it doesn't help.

0 Ratings
Message 135 of 136

No problem since I was dragged to DV, I don't seem to get any calls, only 1 in the past week and they had been trying to get through for days.

0 Ratings
Message 136 of 136

Yes, me too. Seem to get at least one time wasting call each day now.
0 Ratings